Redmax trimmer starting trouble?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Apr 6, 2007.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Redmax 3000S line trimmer and that thing is hell to start. When I finally get it started and give it throttle it kills for about 3-4 tries, then it finally gets going. Has anyone had this trouble before? Sounds like it is not getting fuel when I give it throttle. I dont see any way to set the carb.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is pretty much like Echo does.......but from reading post I thought Redmax was a one pull and it starts, so take it back for warranty. Sometimes they have them set lean so you got to get these babies warmed up a little so feather the choke on/off to get ur rolling.

3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

choke it and prime it of course then hold it at full throttle when trying to start it. redmax is a 1 to 2 pull starting trimmer but it does take about 30 seconds to warm up.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Take it back to the dealer and have him adjust it.

5. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

A (brand New) Commercial Grade Trimmer Should Not Be (hell) To Start. If It Is I'd -
    1 - Check Fuel Route From Fuel Filter To Carb For Obstructions
    2 - Check Plug And Its Gap For Corretivness
    3 - Return To Dealer
    Good Luck

6. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have a redmax 2600 and it take 4-5 pulls and it is about 3 days old but when I first got it, it took me like 7-8 pulls. Redmax stuff is known for having a long break in period. My redmax blower used to take 6-7 pulls when I first got it but now it is one pull and no warm up time. I'd say, just give it a week or so then see abount taking it back to your dealer. Hope this helps!!!

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the same exact trimmer.. on mine you have to full choke and pull it about 3 times and it'll start. let it run for about 30 seconds and start closing the choke down while revving it up. if it tries to die out leave the choke where it is. this is how mine has always been and i've had it for over a year now.

8. TSEDAVE

TSEDAVE LawnSite Member

Every Redmax i have ever started has been 1-2 pull most mowers do not follow the correct starting procedures
    prime, choke pull 2-3 times (until it coughs) open choke it will fire up you may also check the coil if you are having a hard time starting...coils do go bad from time to time

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

RedMax trimmers are a PITA to start... especially if you are new to the brand.

HERE IS HOW TO START THEM

1- Squeeze throttle wide open
    2- Set throttle lock
    3- Press primer bulb 4 or 5 times
    4- Set choke
    5- Pull

It should hit in one to two pulls, and when it does, go for the choke first. Flip it off. Some of them will want to bog down, and you will have to release the throttle too or they will die.

A WARM UP PERIOD YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH.

I now have some age on my 2600 and I'm running Amsoil mix at 64:1.
    At this point, mine now fires on the first or second pull.
    And when I flip the choke it will run with the throttle locked.
    I was happy when that happened because I don't have to wait to work.