1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax trimmer users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, May 12, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone use the BC225DL, staight shaft trimmer? We are currently using Shindaiwa T230's but have considered trying Redmax when we get ready to buy another. The Redmax looks comparable to the Shindaiwa as far as weight and power. Most dealers around here are not interested in selling Shindaiwa, and if they are, they no longer stock the T230. I found one dealer that still has several, but will not come off the price of $284.95 each...even if I bought more than one. Since I am not really ready to buy a new on right now, they will likely all be gone by the time I am ready to. I figured maybe I would look into the Redmax.
  2. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Echo SRM-230S.....

Try one...

enough said!!
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the Shin T-230 and Redmax BCX2500 and BCX2600 (I think those are the model numbers) and I always use the T-230. Only take a redmax just because I havent gotten more Shin stuff, and use it for a back up only.

But I will get more Shin and no longer take the redmax trimmers along.
  4. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

Do yourself a favor and demo a redmax. They also have a Bc2400 model that sells for $279.99 around here in PA. Just about the same weight and quality as schindiawa. Alot of landscapers in our area have switched over to red max. Only sold through dealers, you can't get them at Home Depot like echo. What really matters is the local dealer to supply parts and service after the sale. A box store might be cheaper at the start, but what happens when they break down?. I have never seen a service department at Home Depot. If you can get red max from a local dealer buy it. If not buy the schindiawa from your dealer.
  5. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm just curious why you think it matters to a LCO that Echo products are sold at Home Depot. As I'm sure you know, the Echo products sold at HD are, for the most part, consumer products. If a LCO wants to purchase Echo products at HD, they would surely know that they would have to go elsewhere for parts and service. Commercial dealers who handle Echo products have a far more extensive selection of commercial goods than can be purchased at HD. I understand that your marching orders come from Red Max corporate, who based an ad campaign on Echo's distribution instead of trumpeting their own products, but think for yourself, man. Don't be a lemming.

Red Max is pretty decent equipment.....and LCOs who buy it buy it for that reason, not because Echo sells consumer goods at Home Depot. Stand up for your product instead of bashing another company for their sales successes........Sales 101.

I'm also wondering why 1MajorTom hasn't snapped at you like she did another valuable member of this community who likes Echo products. Could it be that she is a Red Max user?

from AL

Biggest problem with Echo being sold at HD is that Joe customer thinks you're using homeowner equip. & that he/she could do the same job if they run down to HD & buy an Echo.

Only Echo I now use are the 750's, only because they are so much better than the competition. The rest of their com. stuff is comparable to Stihl-Shindaiwa etc..
  7. I used Shindaiwa product but had terrible luck with them. I might have had a few lemons.But after finding out how Shindaiawa works with there dealers.I wont ever go back with them.I switch over to redmax this year and so far so good. In my mind the 2 cycle equipment have taken two steps backwards the past few years.I rally dont think there is that big of a gap between 2 cycles companys. And us lco's pay for that in the long run
  8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Well said Martino!!!

Amen and amen!!

Ultimatelawn.... I do not understand your logic at all regarding Echo. Are you afraid of Home Depot? Consumers understand that Echo is the premier 2-cycle product sold at Home Dept and is used mostly by landscapers and other professionals.

There are quite a few good 2 cycle products out there. The important thing is which company backs their product the best with service, parts and warranty support. Echo and Stihl are, by far, the best here.
  9. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

stihl is the best in my opinion,good service ,good equipment. ihave stihl hedge trimmers,fs-55s and fs-85 trimmers ,edgers,and backpack blower,wouldnt trade em for anything
  10. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Well here is my 2 cents on the trimmers. We have stihl, redmax and one kawasaki or how ever you spell that. We like the red max, seems to us that they turn up a little more rpm's than the stihl's. We have had them for about 2 years with no problems. The Kawasaki is about 4 years old and no problems either..