redmax trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bobcatnj, Sep 27, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i have a redmax trimmer eb23n thats about 2 years old. the head of the trimmer hardly spins. when you hit the throttle the engine just wines. how can i fix this?

2. bobcatnj

bcz 2400 model

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

have you ever put grease into the head?

4. bobcatnj

yes what would that have to do with it not spinning when you give it gas

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

One of two things, A) You have broken your drive shaft connecting the clutch to the head B) Your clutch is so worn that it will not even attempt to engage or is rusted too badly to engage.

To test the shaft simply spin the head and watch the clutch cover through the front of the engine where there are vents that draw air over the front of the engine, understand? If the shaft is broken, you will not see the clutch cover spin. To test the clutch requires dissassembly of the unit. Check for broken drive shaft first.

If you do find the clutch cover does not spin, remove the trimmer head gearbox from the shaft and you will see a thin shaft inside the tube you removed the gearbox from, get some pliers and pull the shaft out. Post back with the result.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Had a one that done the same thing,head gearcase burnt out.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

a kind of trimmer was it.

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

How about like, say for example, if you never checked/maintained the gear box, the head seizes, the cable breaks and "the engine just wines".

9. bobcatnj

thanks lawnmaniac i see 2morrow or maybe over the weekend and see whats going on. hey jimbo thanks for the smart ass answer i learned alot

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

My pleasure.