Redmax Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riden2low, Jul 6, 2004.

1. riden2low

riden2low LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Just found out from the shop that I burned up my piston in my Redmax trimmer(6 months old). Cheaper to buy a new one than to have it repaired. Said I must of used regular gas with no mix because it got pretty hot. Now I have been in business for 15 years and I know which gas cans have a mix. I did not put in a no mix. I use the same ratio in all of my stuff 50:1. The oil I use is made by Echo. So I best go back to my old stand by of 40:1. The guys did give me the break down on parts needed and stock numbers. I am pretty handy with a wrench so what I am asking is if anyone out there know where I can get these parts on the net. Maybe I will just order it thru the shop. The guys wanted to charge me 140.00 in labor and the parts listed runs at little over a 100.00. So could get it back in service and keep it as a spare. If not it will for spare parts. Oh yes, I bought another Redmax.

2. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I run Optimax oil in all my 2 cycle equipment. Saves time trying to insure I have the correct oil mix because I have machines that run 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1. No problems yet.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

From what I've read, the only way to overheat a 2-cycle engine is to run them at idle for a long time. If you didn't do that, you must have used the wrong gas can.

To keep from putting straight gas in our 2-cycle equipment, I only carry two types of cans: 5 gallon cans with straight gas for the mowers, and one 2 gallon can with mixed gas for the trimmers. This makes it simple: it is hard to fill a trimmer from a 5 gallon can.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto, I keep my mix in a 1 gal can, and more premium in a 2 gal in case I run out.:)

5. riden2low

riden2low LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Thanks guys, but I do know my cans, one is a OSHA gas can that has a goose neck spout, Regular gas. The oil mix is a 5 gal can with a short small spout that makes it easy too fill small gas tanks. But back to my question............ does any one know where I can get the parts at a reasonable price?

6. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I have no idea, but I had a question. Do Redmax's use a 50:1 ratio or 40:1? I only mix 50:1 for my blower and current homelite which will soon me taken over by a Redmax.

Thanks,

-Nick

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i own some 40 pieces of redmax and we use smokeless 2 storke @ 50:1 and super unleaded fuel, no engine failures as of yet. as far as parts on the net, no idea. tony

8. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I don't fool around with gas. 93 octane on ALL equipment..

-Nick

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Why don't you have it repaired or replaced under warranty? Redmax has a two year warranty? If it costs over 55% of the new cost, they will give you a new trimmer free.:confused:

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i do the very same thing