1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

RedMax Trimmers ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dtelawncare, May 10, 2007.

1. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I have been running Stihl about a year and a half and have not had any real problems. I also have a Husquavarna that has been ok. I an ready to buy another trimmer (a larger model) and have located a RedMax dealer close to me. The shop seemed to be very heplful. What model would you guys recommend me purchase. I want something that will cut really dense weeds and grass. Mostly for heavier stuff so mu smaller Stihl FS80doesn't wear out faster.
  2. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad that you posted this message. I have owned RedMax for several years. I like my RedMax BC 2600 trimmers, but recently purchased a Stihl FS110R. The Stihl is hands down way better than any RedMax trimmer that I have ever used.

Again, not that I feel RedMax builds a bad product, it's just that I feel Stihl trimmers are far more superior in quality, build, and overall durability.

I'll put it to you this way. I want to sell off my RedMax trimmers and go with all Stihl FS90 and FS110R trimmers. After using my Stihl trimmers, my hands aren't numb and tingling at the end of the day. I can't say that for RedMax.

I have been in this business for 13 years. I have owned trimmers from Maruyama, Shindaiwa, RedMax and Stihl. Based on my personal experience, nothing even compares to a Stihl trimmer.
  3. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I would like to get more opinions (good and bad). The only guy I know running one says it is great. He always bought Stihl before it. Told me last week his next purchase will be Echo.
  4. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

ive also got a stihl 110, very sweet machine, a little heavy dont get me wrong, but very powerful, fairly quiet and starts easy, when you know how to start em. ive had mine over a year now without the slightest problem, ive only cleaned the air filter, thats it.
  5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah, i almost forgot. mine is the split shaft, so all my hedge trimming is done with the same engine, still no problems.
  6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I can agree with you bret. I'm also trying to sell off my bcz2600. I have never owned a echo. Am I missing anything?
  7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have allways had Echo trimmer and have never had a problem with them....Have you looked at the Echo SRM-261T (HIGH TORQUE!!!) mine cut though anything i throw at it...:weightlifter: :weightlifter: or you can go with a bigger one Like the SRM-310 ( I have the older model which was the SRM-3100) or even bigger the SRM-340...:rolleyes:
  8. Giantpumpkin

Giantpumpkin LawnSite Member

I have the redmax 2601 and I love it. It has plenty of power and it doesn't vibrate the hands. I will be buying another for a backup.
  9. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

I have both Redmax and Stihl trimmers. I recently purchased the 110 and the 130. The dealer I got them from is a great and extremely close dealer. My only complaint compared to the Redmax and even the old FS-80 that I have is they lack throttle control in my opinion. I feel that if you want to take the 110 out and trim near say a nice aluminum fence that you dont want to beat up its difficult. The trimmer doenst seem like it wants to find a speed just over idle to work with. I tried the 130, even though its large, and get the same thing. The two strokes seem to not have this problem. I took both of them back and the 130 is there now to have them looked at. I am not as sold on the performace of these trimmers as some people are. I do think the buld quality is great and they start and feel good. I would highly recomend finding a good dealer and just see if they will start one up and let you run it maybe not trim but just run it and see if its what you like. I would love to take the two that I have back and trade for something else.. I will say the new pole saw with 4mix is way better than the 2 stroke one. I have both and its got the 100 motor not the fs-75 motor its just enough more power to make the jobs easier.
  10. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

The BCZ2600 has been a great all-round trimmer for me. Starts and runs easily. Also have a 2400 which has a smaller engine.