Redmax Using Too Much String

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobH, Jun 5, 2006.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I have a Redmax weedeater. I've had it for years. Very dependable machine. I have noticed this season that I've been using a lot more string than past years.

I have the tap and go head. I don't think I'm doing anything different this year in trimming vs. last year. Is there an adjustment that I can make on the head? Such as how much string is let out per tap?

It is actually frustrating me now to have to go back and wind another spool so much more often. Granted I have two spools so my downtime is minimized. However, something just doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Old dry cutting line is brittle.

3. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I agree....either old brittle string or if the trimmer head has a spring(which it should) maybe the spring is worn and needs to be replaced.... just a thought

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Soak your trimmer line in water.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On the Echo timmer heads there is a spring that can be stretched to make it harder to reel out cord. Don't know on Redmax but I would assume they all have some type of spring. I always liked the Stihl heads because they are real stingy with reeling out cord.

6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

The soaking cutting line in water helps to restore or maintain moisture content in the line making it more durable. Bumpin' the head before the line is too short improves the lifespan of the line as it helps eliminate line weld.

I would check the eyelets on the head for abnormal wear which would contribute to your problem.

Not much else I could point to as my experience with bump and flyaparts caused me to switch to fixed line trimmer heads over 20 years ago.

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

as someone else mentioned about their echo, i do the same thing for my redmax trimmers.

Take the spring out of the bump head and stretch it using your hands to make the spring longer. Put this back into the trimmer and your wont accidentally bump the head as often. I have found that after a year or two of use the springs either get shorter or softer - either way this fixes the problem.