RedMax vs Echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLS24, Apr 29, 2008.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure this has been discussed a MILLION times, but heres one more. I'm going to be getting a trimmer for myself (i only do about 6 lawn right now, hoping to get maybe 2 or 3 more for this year). My dealer has both RedMax and Echo, and I am debating between the RedMax bcz2401s and the Echo SRM-210. I have an Echo PB-200 blower and really like it, but the trimmer kinda puts me off because i Know they sell it at Home Depot so I'm worried about it being cheap. The RedMax is $10 more the the Echo, do you guys think its worth the extra $10 for the RedMax?

2. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

I would spend the extra $10 and get the Redmax, well worth it.

3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

RedMax BCZ2401 for sure.

This is more a direct comparison to Echo SRM260 type. THe engine is 23.6cc but is more efficient than the Echo Tornado engine, so it is closer to SRM260 than SRM230. SRM210 is only the entry level Echo which has a 21.2cc engine with only 0.9hp.

I would guess the BCZ2401 will out last SRM210 just because they are not in the same class. BTW the BCZ2401 cost a lot more too. You really have to compare to SRM260, price will be more comparable and it will be hard to say which one is better.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

redmax-echo is crap now

5. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Get The Redmax!!!

6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

redmax all the way

7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Guy, nobody want to answer my question: Is Redmax Strato 2401 quieter than other 2 cycles like Echo etc.? My Echo hedge trimmer is nice, it is just LOUD!!! That is the loudest piece of equipment I have. I need to find quieter ones since I live in The People's Republic of Kalifornia.

8. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

After demoing both, I ended up going with the Echo SRM-210 for a couple reasons: The RedMax had that Strato-Charged engine on it, and it didnt seem like it had as much torque in thicker, taller grass. I also found that the Echo was easier to start (on a cold start, prime, set the choke, 2 pulls and it fired, let it idle for a few seconds and turn the choke off and I was ready to go. on a warm start just 1 pull and i was trimming. the redmax i had to fiddle with the choke all the time, and it took a lot more to get going). There were a few other little things too I disliked about the redmax. The only real advantage I saw with it is it was a little lighter, which was nice. But overall I am very happy with the Echo thus far.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This past Friday I was in the market for a new weedeater. My old echo bit the dust and I shopped around and wound up with the Redmax. The older echo equipment was good stuff but the last 2 new pieces of echo equipment I bought has been troublesome so I did not even consider echo. The echo 210 is a high end residentual or low end commercial I was told. However, after using my Redmax on 4 yards don't know if I made the right decision. It has cut off with me several times and did not want to crank back up and the tapper will not work unless you bang the *** out of it on hard dirt or pavement. I was going to post a thread about it but have not done so yet. The Redmax also will get hot enough to fry and egg on after only a few minutes of use. I was going to get a husqy since our biggest LCO swears by them but they were a 100 bucks higher than the Redmax. Right now I can't say I made the right decison but the Redmax has more power than my echo and is not any louder or quiter, sound the same to me. Hope you have good luck with your echo though.

10. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

if you call yourself a professional you should have professional equipment as in commercial. it cracks me up that a person that calls himself a landscape contractor does not own commercial equipment. By the way it is called a line trimmer.