RedMax wacker line blows

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ed Ryder, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I almost can't believe it. I bought 2 five pound spools of .105 string trimmer line and its durability is so poor, it's astonishing. I almost can't believe how fast this stuff is falling apart on me:realmad: This stuff is garbage!

I took one of the spools back to my dealer/repair guy telling him this is the worst string trimmer line I've dealt with in years and years.

Man, I've got to reload the string trimmer's spool with like every lawn! It doesn't last!

I'll never buy RedMax string trimmer line again. It's terrible.

Before I always bought Lesco's line or Kawasaki's.

Who makes a really durable string trimmer line besides them? Any suggestions?

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info...i was just about to buy some.....I guess I'll choose another brand.

3. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i use the redmax .100 (green) with great results. thanks for the heads up with the .105. i started to buy a roll of that the other day......

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an 800 ft roll of the Shakespear .95 from Walmart because I saw several positive comments on here about it. This stuff is great, I got it for 10-11 bucks. I have used Echo, Husky, and Shindy. This stuff is just as good for way less.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's good stuff!!! I like it but don't always see it at walmart so I get gatorline square magnum .095. That's some good line also.

6. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

.095 Gator Line all the way. That stuff will cut down a tree.

:weightlifter:

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've noticed with multiple brands that things will be great... and then I'll get a spool that may as well be spaghetti noodles.

I think it's the equivalent of getting a stale batch.

Several threads have alluded to soaking trimmer line to increase its resilience. You might give that a try.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

You might want to try soaking it in water. All trimmer line will dry out. It works.

9. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you try to soak/submerge the spool in a bucket of water? That should help some. Trimmer line seems to have different characteristics depending on age, diameter and the power of your trimmer. It's always better to try a small spool or sample before you buy a lot of it. I've had the same brand of string act totally different by moving up or down a gauge. Gotta try it out till you find what works for you. Ask fellow LCO's to try some of their line with your trimmers. That'll help you decide. :dizzy:

10. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Try the new Redmax Twist line. That stuff is great!