Redmax weedeater or stick with Echo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I need a new weedeater... I've always used Echo weedeaters and liked them. My blower, stick edger and hedge trimmer are Redmax and have been excellent. I'm thinking of changing to a Redmax weedeater. I haven't seen a Redmax weedeater in a few years and would have to travel a bit to a dealer. So I need some opinions before I make the trip... Especially if you've used both.

Thanks

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo trimmer and a Redmax. I prefer the feel and angle to the ground when using the Echo. I am 6'3" if that would make a difference or not. I still have to bend alot with either one. But do prefer the Echo. Power feels the same, they both start fine.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Redmax all the way! I have used just about every brand made..... None of them compare to the power or balance of a redmax! I used to used echo trimmers also.... switched about 5 years ago.... youll wander why you didnt switch years ago!

4. Randy Scott

Wow, that probably made your choice easier huh. LOL Just goes to show the variance in equipment opinions. Good luck with your decision.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks guys...

If you could.. please let me know which models you own. I'm on thier website now... anyone know anything about the "strato-charged" units?

Thanks again!

6. Randy Scott

The Echo is the PAS 2601, the split boom, quite handy at times also, can go to the edger in seconds.
    The Redmax is the BC2600.
    I put the ECHO rapid loader head on both of them, I really like that style of head rather than winding string. You can put in new pieces of string in no time, no need to even turn the unit off, it takes a second to put the pre-cut pieces in.

7. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I have the RedMax BC2600DL 26cc Commercial Trimmer - Solid Steel Driveshaft - $349.95 that I bought this year along with LTRA Red Max Adjustable Angle Hedge Trimmer - $259.95. I used it for trimming for a couple of weeks to test it out and thought it did a good job. I also have the echo 2400 and that is my main trimmer as I would like to reserve the redmax for hedge trimming and keep it for a backup in case something happens to the echoe. The redmax seems to have more power. I'm 6'4" and also found it a little difficult getting used to the redmax . When I tried the redmax it took a little getting used to the different angle but had no problems once I moved the handle all the way up . They are both great trimmers but if I were to buy another I would probably get the echoe just because I'm used to it and I believe they are a little less expensive.
    Just one more opinion for you . Hope it helps.

8. Wheeless

Wheeless LawnSite Member

I use a Echo 2601 with a Stihl head on it. This set up works great for me, plenty of power and very light weight.

9. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks...

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Randy--at 6'3" the longer shafted echo is more comfortable to use.