redmax weedwacker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcatnj, May 16, 2004.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

my redmax weedwacker keeps stalling out. its started up and runs for like 5 min in the beginning then its starts to studder (shake) then stall out. then sometimes it starts after all that and sometimes it doesnt. anyone have any ideas????

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Can think of
    1. Gas tank is vapor locking - cap not properly venting.
    2. Has the screen been removed from the exhaust port??
    3. The 2 wires may be contacting one another causing the machine to short out.

Try those simple things along w/ a new plug -- keep us up to date.

3. g4fixer

g4fixer LawnSite Member
    from MI

Same problem here. I bought two new redmax trimmers last May. Every day I would have to put a new plug in them. Full of carbon. No problem with my other 2 cycle equipment. 2 shindaiwa trimmers, 2 red max blowers, 2 red max edgers. All of the exhaust screens removed in all equipment. The red max trimmers were at the dealer 10 times last year and once this year. Finally the dealer gave me new red max trimmers. The first day with the new trimmers, same problem, new plug then run fine. I took them back. I did not have time to pull screens out of the new ones yet. The dealer pulled screens out of new ones and no problem so far.
    It has been a week. I did not understand why I was having a problem with the old red max trimmers, the exhaust screens were out and no problems with the other equipment. The dealer told me that the strato charged engines are real picky on oil used

4. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

yea i have those strato chargered ones i brought it 2 the dealer last week and told me it was the piston ring.so he fixed it it was running fine for about an hour then it did the same thing like before. i run the redmax 2 cycle 50:1 its goin back tomorrow so we'll see what they say now

5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I just took mine into my buddy who used to work at the redmax dealer. It was running about five mins then would flood out. He said its had to do with the fact you cant adjust the carb. He said he used to run into this problem working at the dealership. He has fixed them before, but its not a sure thing. Which is a pitty because I love my redmax stuff. I trust my friend because he has been doing ths for about 30 years before I was born. I went out and bought the new stihl 4-mix solid shaft weed eater. Its a 4 stroke that runs on 2 cycle fuel. Man does it like its gas, I could go half a day on my red max, the stihl is about little over half that on a good day. But boy is it powerful. My redmax is in his shop, when he gets it done (pray) I will let you know what he did to get it fixed. By the way the stihl dealer said pretty soon all carbs will be unadjustable due to the EPA nazis. I have one strato charge engine and I use either pro-mix or 50:1 mix in it for 3 years now with no problems.