Redmax wont honor warranty on blower, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DLM155, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Can we get you to pull the muffler off and post up a view of the piston and rings? Like this shot of a Stihl engine.

[​IMG]

2. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Appliances don't make sense. Always seems cost more to repair than buying new. My brothers $800 fridge died (no longer under warranty), got $1500 estimate to repair. He went out & purchased new $800 fridge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

I'm going to go collect it today from the dealer and start selling parts off of it as I've already replaced it with another unit. I'll probably pull the engine apart myself in my spare time and see what went down inside of it.

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it begin running erratic and display hard starting prior to failing? I wonder if it overheated from a lean set carb from the factory?

Shovelracer, that wouldn't have been a maytag neptune washer, would it?

5. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

No, ran and started like normal all day. An hour into a job it felt low on power for about 25 seconds, then a pop noise and it died as if it ran out of fuel. Hasn't ran since.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well you may have made another mistake. There were 3 BR600 at the dealer this weekend all blown up inside the two year warranty. Stihl asked the dealer to take the engine out and send it to them for evaluation. So what broke on the redmax that required $390:dizzy::dizzy:

7. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

I'm guessing they didn't keep up with the valves on the Stihl units. I only have one unit as I work by myself so adjusting the valves every 50 hours or so shouldn't be a big deal at all.

The $390 would be the cost of the engine shortblock, without any labor, from the dealer. I still haven't torn the machine down to see if anything obvious is destroyed.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the heads up. Redmax won't honor warranty's. I am never buying anything Redmax now.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think Redmax refused to honor the warranty. They want to see what they're warranting and I don't blame them. Redmax has probably built a million, if not more, 2 stroke engines and for one of them to just seize up is probably extremely rare. They have a lot of experience in building them.

If the OP is 100% certain that the issue is the fault of Redmax, then he should just let the shop tear it down. I asked for a simple through the port picture and I'm still waiting to see it.

I do agree that the dealer is way overcharging for the teardown. $25 or maybe even $50 seems a little more reasonable.

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

If you know you didn't accidentally run straight fuel though it why not allow the dealer to take the steps the manufacturer requests? Obviously if you ran the correct fuel/fuel mixture the machine will be replaced. Are you sure the dealer isn't yanking your chain?