Redneck harley rake

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cantoo, Apr 21, 2007.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I built a redneck harley rake using my Kubota roto tiller and a landscape rake. It actually works pretty good. I remove the back guard and scrapped the 3 point hitch off the rake. The stones hit the tines and fall straight down then get covered by the dirt that goes thru the tines. The bigger stones flip up and sit on top. Took a bit of playing around but it works and saves us time.

IMG_0358a.jpg

2. cantoo

This is my culivator. I moved all the teeth to the front two bars and put them closer together. I added a 4"x4" angle iron to the back bracket. You can see the two trailer screw jacks attached to the bar. This allows me to raise the levelling bar to level soil. I can set the teeth to go as deep as I want and the levelling bar will level everything. I can also set the depth with the guage wheels. By raising the teeth and lowering the back bar it will drag all the stones to one spot then lift it up to leave them. I can also move soil from high spots to low spots with the back bar.

IMG_0355a.jpg

3. cantoo

Other side.

IMG_0356a.jpg

4. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

I like your rake! I've thought about doing something like that myself. Only thing I would do different is to use 1/4 or 5/16 rods to allow more dirt to pass through. Also figured on fabricating a sheild/deflector. Can you post some action, before and after pics?

lawn

5. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

how do you like your rake attached to the back of the tiller?

6. cantoo

Grademan, it works really good. Saves alot of hand work. I use it with my Steiner rake and levelling bar and rarely have to even use a hand rake except for close to buildings and trees. It buries the stones and clumps of grass with finer dirt. If there is a bigger stone it will make the tiller bounce up but it still buries most. I used it today to loosen up some soil so I could dig it out to make a gravel driveway bigger. The soil was worked up nice and added to flower beds. I've been looking for a bigger tiller so cut my time down a little. And of course the price is right. It was in pretty tough shape so I think I only paid about $50 for the rake and then added it to my tiller.

7. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

" I use it with my Steiner rake and levelling bar " Do you have pictures of these? Do you own a harley rake? how big is your tiller? It looks likes a light duty one. Mine has a three speed gear box, I have sort of given up on using it now. This thread kind of has me thinking of re vamping the thing....
    Thanks

8. cantoo

9. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Rednecks...........in Canada?? When did this happen and why wasn't I informed?