1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redneck yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Oct 28, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got done watching blue collar tv with Jeff Foxworthy. He came up with a new segment for his show. He stated to take pictures of "redneck yards" You know overgrown, cars that are rusted that don't run ect, ect, you have to have the owners permission to post it. Dam how to ask them something like that? www.redneckyard.com

OK I've got an idea, Tell us about the yards you guys have come across. I've got a few in mind.

1. A white ranch with a green 5 series BMW in the driveway with the grass about 4 feet tall all overgrown, with a partial garage structure or something thats nailed and boarded to the side of the house. It'kind of looks like a 2 and half sided lean too or something, this thing its hideous. All rotted out and no roof, really well though out

2. A house thats half shingled since 1997 with 25 year old rack body truck in the front yard that has 4 different colors that dosen't run with a windshield sticker that says "Redneck"

Now come on guys I'm sure that I'm not the only one to come across this stuff. Now tell me about some of the yards you guys come across :drinkup:
  2. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I just saw that...

I know i have plenty of yards aound here that would win the contest without a doubt. There is one house rright outside of town with about 7 or 8 rusted out old cars that haven't been moved in atleast 20 years and the grass probably hasn't been cut this year. There are fold up chairs all throughout their front yard. A tree fell on their garage this spring guess what its still there + a few other really tacky things...now if you can compete with that i want to hear about it
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im sure you have heard "if you cut your grass and you find a car, you might just be a redneck". Here in FL we have a weed crap tree called pepper trees. I trimmed some for a customer, and found not 1 car, not 2, not 3, but 4 cars. They were small fiat or toyota or something, but a 1/4 acre lot with 4 cars I didnt see when we started.
  4. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

I was mowing one day and this lady stopped as she was driving by and asked me if I could mow her yard after I got done. I told her that I had some more to do but I would come by tomorrow and give her an estimate. Well I got there and she wanted me to mow just her front yard which was about 150' x about '75 and about 2 feet tall and they had a wooden swing set and a trampoline in the yard so I told her that I could do it for $65. She only wanted it done one time. So I start and found about a dozen baseballs, softballs, basketballs, kickballs, big toy trucks, trikes, bigwheels, wagons, hug boulders, and a FREAKING CAR ENGINE.....none of this stuff was visible before I started. The lady told me that they had just cleaned up and when I told her $65 it was from outside of the chain link fenced yard.

The lady left to go to her kids football practice and I was done before she got back but I never said anything, I was just glad to get out of there before I found a horse or something. LOL
  5. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Wife and I were in Missouri driving back from vacation and we drove by a home with a toilet in the front yard filled with dirt and planted with flowers. My wife turned and said, "did you just see that!" We both laughed hysterically. The yard was also littered with a couple sun bleached half rotted pink flamingoes and a boat next to the driveway that im sure hasn't touched water in at least 15 years.
  6. lawnman_scott

speaking of this topic. My policy is, a tool left in the yard to be hit by the lawnguy is a tool that is no longer needed by the customer.
  7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

there is one i pass that has toys, folding chairs out all year. cars that dont run and a "home made garage". big blue tarp tied to the house and then to the swing set.
  8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, that was my neighbors house, and they're quite proud of the landscape.
  9. lawnman_scott

I see alot of those "garages" here.
  10. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, big blue tarp strung from a couple of trees and 8' 4x4 posts stuck in the ground, the tarp was covering a couple of lawnmowers, but the tarp has shredded in the weather. At least 7 other mowers strewn around the house. Two large piles of brush or tree trimmings stacked near the drive. Foot tall grass in a circle around each pile of brush indicating they have been there about 6 weeks, and for that matter, foot tall grass in several areas in the yard, but one small area of the lawn neatly trimmed and mowed. Next week when you drive by it will be grown up but another area will be neatly mowed and trimmed. Then every evening, a pickup and lawn service trailer parked beside the drive, and then it's obvious the tree trimmings were thrown off the trailer at the end on a long day several weeks ago, but never carried on down to the burn pile.

You guessed it, my yard.