redo of seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Aug 31, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A neighbor planted a lawn at his new house in 2012. It was dry and hot and most of it died; crabgrass filled in up to about 90 percent. Hose irrigated; sandy soil.

He reseeded the front yard in fall 2012, and it established fairly well.

In late August, 2013 he started to redo the back yard, about 4000 full sun additional sqft. He sprayed with Ortho Weed and Crabgrass Control. Which was fairly effective. I am not sure I have these steps correct. As I recall...then he cut short. Then he dethatched with a rotary dethatch blade. Then raked up residue. He applied seed by throwing it by hand. Then applied about 20 bags of compost. Then he scattered the dead grass residue like straw to help hold moisture. High temps have been between 80 and 85 with light rain. He is sprinkling by hose with an oscillating sprinkler. Watering about 30 minutes per zone every day. I estimate about a tenth of an inch, daily. Seed was retail Pennington Smart Seed. After about 10 days, now, so far, it is about 3 inches high.
    http://www.penningtonseed.com/products/smart-seed/sun-and-shade-mix

I suggested that a good fertilizer be applied. I will check again soon.

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

3" high after ten days is great, what is the issue? This is fescue, not a rye correct?

-Michael

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

So he killed thatched and raked up the junk, then threw it out on the fresh ground?

4. RigglePLC

There was about .9 inch of rain in last 10 days.
    Sorry about double post. I am always worried that the first one didn't take. Mods: please delete the second one.

The Pennington seed mixture is mostly perennial rye, but ingredients are not listed online as they change often depending on supply of the varieties, and there are regional adjustments.

He did not kill everything...rather he used the Ortho weed product that contains quinclorac...and killed most of the crabgrass; the small percentage of last year's grass remained. Yes, he used the dead crabgrass as mulch, (plus bagged compost.)

I just thought you would like to know what worked. Worked so far, at least. With his permission I will try to get photos.

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

from DE

All he did was remove the crabgrass and then spread it out again which placed new seeds of CB in the ground. I use 10% or less Rye whenever I am seeding, it grows quickly to keep the customer satisfied.

-Michael

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

All sound practices...the dethatching blades may actually work better than some slit-seeders... I really appreciate that he didn't waste the thatch but instead used it as cover, along with compost... :)

7. RigglePLC

Neighbor's new lawn redo is still doing well. He used 20 pounds (I think) of Pennington's Sun and Shade Mixture. According to label it contained 39 percent Integra II Perennnial rye, 20 percent APP 2105 Per rye, 20 percent Survivor chewings fescue, 10 percent Razor red fescue, and 10 percent Ridgeline KBG. Most at 85 percent germination.

Seed was treated with mefanoxam (Apron XL fungicide for protection). Label indicates it was treated with "Stimulate" a mixture of cytokinin and gibberellac acid.

I suspect that the crabgrass seeds contained in the residue he used as mulch were affected by the quinclorac he applied (Ortho). Also, hopefully, the crabgrass seed would not have reached maturity--and would not germinate. In any event, a full strength crabgrass treatment will be needed in spring.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

from DE

Okay, so he used a lot of herbicide's. What do you guys like to use to kill crabgrass? granular and liquids?

-Michael

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am fully convinced good, consistent watering is the only key to getting a good stand.
    When it was wet and rainy this spring, I never had such good results with seed jobs.

Now late summer it is hot and dry. I may request to cancel some seeding on non irrigated lawns as I just know the results will be poor.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The seed can wait for rain... it can sit in the ground until conditions are correct for germination and then germinate... It works for Snyder in MO, so why would it not work in MI???