1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redo these steps?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Dec 18, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

This is at my house and leads up to the back door where I am doing a large paver patio. The caps are Mesa and are normally 18" wide 12" deep. I cut them down to make the circle less rigid. I am considering redoing the caps on the top and only having 4 where I now have 8. I will be adding slate colored pavers to the top behind the caps. What do you think, ok or redo them?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i think i would use 5 with the center one parallel with the house.
  3. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to make your cuts more uniform so the blocks are all similar sizes, alternating the direction of teh cut also helps to keep things uniform.
  4. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

hey man are you going to cover up those hole on the far left and right against the house because I saw one done where there were little flower beds between steps on each side.
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

It's your house, you have to look at them everyday... Put it this way- would you install it that way at a clients house? It just looks too busy to me.

Personally, I'd probably have done it with 4 caps in the first place, less cuts, easier to do.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I like your idea, but the way you did it isn't the greatest. You have some "pie pieces" and some rectangles, but they are in no particular order. It looks jumbled and pieced together. I don't necessarily think 4 or 5 caps would look good in such a tight radius. It would look like a stop sign :dizzy:
    If you want a really smooth look use a bullnose paver in a color that would compliment your pavers for the treads.

D Felix just because it is easier to do 4 caps doesn't make it more appealing. Sure it's less cuts and labor, but a customer will appreciate the extra effort and "custom" job when you go the extra mile to make a project look GREAT, not just good so you can finish quicker. That's what separates the great installers from the not-so-great ones! Now granted his install needs some tweaking, but he has the right idea. IMO

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on the bullnose
  8. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking redoing them and just wanted some other opinions before I did. I guess that sometimes when your doing something at your house, it has a tendency to get done a little different. BTW, the sides will be for flower beds and left open. I actually got the idea from Rex Mann and no, I wouldn't leave this looking like that at a clients house. Thanks for your opinions, was kindof thinking the pavers would bring in some more lines and hide the mess I have now. Guess the best use of these caps is for a template. lol
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look at the picture, what I envisioned was 2 of the "pie pieces" that he currently has would be replaced by one cap. I think that would look better, IMHO, than what is there. I don't really think the "stop sign" effect would be that noticable, it would definately be less noticable than all of the seams that are there now. Less cuts, less labor and it would look better.

If you want a truly seamless look, get some bluestone custom cut to the radius and have that bullnosed.

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are examples of 2 different ways to go about cutting in a radius step. Both look good IMO. The caps worked well because the radius was not as tight as Brents.