redoing small plot of grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJ's Lawncare Services, Sep 2, 2006.

1. MJ's Lawncare Services

MJ's Lawncare Services LawnSite Member

Hi guys what do you think, I have a small 20x30 lawn plot to redo. The customer had a professional landscaper come in this spring and they seeded the lawn, the way she described it sounded like they did everything right, but the grass is basically no good. She thought they put on too much straw.Now she's got a nasty weed problem instead of grass. Anyway, the question is, what is the best way to do this. Should I round-up whats there to make sure the weeds are gone, then rototill it up and reseed, or could I just till it and reseed without having a big weed problem. It seemed like wherever the previous guy actually tore up the old turf the grass made it, but weeds are everywhere else. I'm planning on mixing in mushroom mulch before I seed. the customer said she had nice grass there for 40 years and then she had a siding crew work on her house, they tore it up some and then we had some drought, then the other guy reseed it, and now it's all brown. I just hope there isn't some sort of disease. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!