Reduce fertilizer inputs by 50%, Univ of CT

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, May 14, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

University of CT, TURFGRASS SCIENCE
    Clipping Management and Nitrogen Fertilization of Turfgrass: Growth, Nitrogen
    Utilization, and Quality
    Kelly L. Kopp* and Karl Guillard

Returning clippings was found to increase clipping dry matter yields (DMYs) from 30 to 72%, total N uptake (NUP) from 48 to 60%, N recovery by 62%, and N use efficiency (NUE) from 52 to 71%. Returning grass clippings did not decrease turfgrass quality, and improved it in some plots. We found that N fertilization rates could be reduced 50% or more without decreasing turfgrass quality when clippings were returned. Overall, returning grass clippings was found to improve growth and quality of turfgrass while reducing N fertilization needs.

http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=plsc_articles

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok, so for someone like myself where that all sounds great, for a typical bermuda lawn where do I find the recommended amount of N and everything else needed per year?

I still can't get over the whole I WANT A GREEEEN LAWN! thought process, but I think FE might help me with that. Is there such a thing as too much FE? I want to just pour it on and watch my grass turn blue! :D

3. ICT Bill

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you should look to follow "recommendations" as they generally apply to chems and IMO are not needed to maintain a healthy lawn.

If your going to continue with organics, you might need to loosen up on that thought process. :)

Absolutely, as is the case with any mineral nutrient.

5. DeepGreenLawn

I know, I know,

I am getting better. I am just trying to find my way around stuff. The nice thing is that I put down just a tiny bit of N this spring with my pre-m and my grass is just as green as everyone else. I need to fert again though, it's slowed down on the growing and still has dead/dormant areas in it.

I understand the whole recommendation thing, basically with organics just keep the OM going and the microbes and your good correct?

Ok, that makes since, you could also say you can always have too much of anything. So, where do we get to the too much point of FE? I haven't much experience with it, I have always turned to N for a good green up.

PS, if my lawn wasn't literally a rug, I would have a much fuller thicker, greener lawn. But... I LOVE my reel mower and my rug for a lawn. I know it's not proper practice but it just looks SOO good. :D

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Basically, yes.

It will vary based on your soil, soil conditions, and plant type. Keep in mind, it is a micro-nutrient.

7. DeepGreenLawn

so where can i go to find this information?

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

9. ICT Bill

Thanks Kiril, very informative