Reduced rate for pre-paid customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greg313, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have a client that just contacted me and was wondering if she could pre-pay for 10 mows this year when they can't mow themselves for some sort of discounted price. I mowed her lawn off and on last year when they couldn't get to it or it was too hot out. I charged $20 per cut. Keep in mind this yard is very small, very little weed-eating, average edging for this area, and the grass doesn't grow fast if any at all, takes me solo 20-30min max. Also, I have two accounts right next door to them also so it wouldn't be an extra trip to her house. Should I maybe charge her for 9 cuts $180 or tell her there is not a discount. She also has asked me to do a "spring" clean up for her, mulching etc, that is not going to be discounted.
  2. TripleTsLawnCare

TripleTsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would only give discounts if they pay for the whole year up front. Not a few months. Just not worth it IMO.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

calling you when they dont feel like cutting it isnt much of a client... id tell them i mow every week.... period.... except for rain or drought conditions, otherwise, there is no way i could work them into my schedule....
  4. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

yea what they said
  5. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I absolutly agree with what everyone on here said. The only reason why I even do her lawn "on-call" is that she is my sister's boss, I wouldn't do it for other customers. She also knows that I will only do it if I have time that day so she is pretty flexible for as far as that goes. I think that I'm not going to give her a discount but let her pre-pay for 10 cuts just because she's next door to other customers. Like I said on the first post, her grass barely grows mainly the johnson grass in it so 5inch tall grass will not be a problem.
  6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I only discount those that use our services for the entire season and even at that I only offer 5% off total. The folks that use us for full property maintenance benefit the most from the discount, so thats typically the client that will pre-pay (maybe about3-5% of our customer base), for us. I don't promote pre-pay however to many things can go wrong with this to be worthwhile IMO
  7. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I would go the other way, and tell them that if they only want you to mow every so often, the price will be $30...if they prepay, you will only charge them 25.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I gave 5% for a full season paid up front......but I don't advertise that I do this.......

9. TripleTsLawnCare

TripleTsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would also recommend not doing your sister,s boss, wife's boss, mother-in-laws best friends sister, or anything like this. Seems like everytime we do anything like this it ends up biteing us in the ***. I know they seem to be easy accounts to get, but if there ever is a problem they seem to all ways pass the message on throught the chain. They never call you directly. This is just my experiance.
  10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i give a 5% discount for 1 full year pre-pay .