reduceing clumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Sep 15, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

probally everyone knows this except me im a slow learner but anyways besides keeping blades sharp and scrapeing your deck out .i notice if you cut a lawn in a box shape pattern instead of up and down that this seriously reduces the clumping of grass .elimates a lot of blower work for me at least.i cant believe i never did this b4

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

You can do that, but in my opinion, I think it leaves a very unattractive pattern...

You can slow down when your cutting and that might reduce it, or just double cut...it only takes a couple more minutes.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If the grass is clumping and your equipment good, blades are sharp, moderate speeds...Then the grass needs to be cut more often. I would suggest shortening the days in-between cuts if possible.

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would be afraid to leave a box pattern a yard,doesn't look very good.I would mow more,raise deck or change blade pattern.:rolleyes:

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The "box" looks like crap. Its usually only homeowners doing that with lawn tractors.

The only time I've done it is in the fall when having to pick up leaves, then we always went back and cut regular up and down paths afterwards.

How high are you cutting and how often? This will help find a sloution to your clumping problem.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

by cutting in the box shape you are always blowing you clippings to the inside where they are cut and blown again. sooner or later you are gonna have clumps in the middle.

if you cut the box shape the other direction, you are gonna blow clipping all over everything.

when you mow back and forth, every other pass is a double clipping row and that is probably where you are getting the clumps.

I suggest, besides the previous advice, use high lift blades. I do and I like them except whei I discharge into a strong wind. it's kinda like spitting into the wind.:cry:

cutting a box style cut to me looks just as good as back and forth except you don't get stripes. and I agree that my yard without stripes would look like crap!

GEO

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

and don't forget that famous pattern where they follow the same path they made around an obstacle throughout the whole yard:D

8. I've heard that called the "shrinking perimiter" cut. It's for those "special" customers. You know, the slow pay, or can't you do it a little cheaper customers.

Dave

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use usually only make "laps" around a yard if they have real bad crabgrass. I make 2 passes discharging towards the inside on the perimeter of the yard and then complete the cutting discharging towards the outside. This reduces clumping and virtually eliminates cowpies.

At this time of the year if you go by a yard in my area and it doesn't have huge amounts of thatch sitting on top of a yard then a professional probably cut the grass.

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

sounds to me like eric has been challenged to try and stripe a box pattern?