Reducing fuel cost and doing more for the money

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Sep 4, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is a GOOD investment to spend the 50 to 80 dollars on a set of Taylor or Accel 8mm spark-plug wires PLUS another 15 dollars for a high-performance cap and rotor for the truck, as this increases fuel mileage by 10% or so, be it efi or carbureted, some quad-plat spark plugs MIGHT help as well thou double-plat really is good enough, and Autolite is cheaper than Bosch thou Autolite does NOT make quads AND most Bosch comes pre-gapped while Autolite does not, still a dollar is worth gapping it myself.

Lets remember the higher cost of fuel only affects driving to-from AND anytime we're using fuel-powered equipment. Shovels, rakes, tarps, wheel-barrows, loppers and garden shears (surely there's more) ALL operate without fuel and can be used to do little extra stuff they did NOT ask for that helps the yard look better while we raise prices I feel we need to give the customer something in return as well. What's 5 extra minutes for 5 extra bucks, really it's us trading a bit of extra (and paid) labor to help pay for the fuel while they are NOT paying JUST for fuel.

Another way to raise prices is to work HARDER so as to get MORE work done in LESS time. Yes it kinda sux but at the same rate if I can do an hour's work in 50 minutes and do so consistently without losing quality, then that helps boost my income somewhere around 15 to 20 percent.

All of this helps, would like to hear more ideas.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Effiecent ignition systems help burn fuel more effieciently, but I do not think they will add 10%.

Also, I never ever ever trust a pregapped plug. Remember, its been rattling around in a box for the past 6 months.

I have a keychain gapper I paid $0.75 for, and it takes me less than 5 minutes to gap all of my plugs.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll get no additional mileage by swapping stock ignition components for high performance aftermarket components. Don't buy into the hype. Keep your oil changed, the engine tuned up, clean air filter and the proper amount of air in your tires and you will get the maximum gas mileage from your car or truck.

4. topsites

It is possible on SOME cars such as the Bmw, where a set of wires from the dealer costs 300 dollars without the labor to install, that an aftermarket component is no better than the high performance wires already installed.
    However, on most domestic cars, the manufacturer installs STANDARD wires and STANDARD cap and rotor designed to deliver optimal but not maximum performance. More than once have I b!7ched because the manufacturer SHOULD install 8mm wires from the factory, but they don't.
    On the other hand, you just run your stuff and I'll run mine, I'm much happier with the 8mm Taylor wires than the 7mm mfg crap because from what I've seen around here, there's a bunch of nominal swear-by-the-bs folk who will not and categorically refuse to spend the extra little money to get the real, high performance stuff, swearing to the end that their standard crap is just as good. How this could be is beyond me, but you just do your thing and I'll do mine.

5. topsites

No doubt, but you can't gap quads.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Quite simply put there isn't enough cylinder pressure in a non-modified engine to have a problem with spark blowout. Spark blowout is the only reason to run high performance ignition components. You could probably get better mileage by indexing your plugs but you would have a hard time measuring it. There are also issues with spark scatter but I don't hear you proclaiming the benefits of double roller timing chains.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't waste my money on quads..In facts, quads and splitfires and other gimmicky plugs have been reported to lose their conductors under high cylinder pressures and temperatures (created by things such as forced induction), so I stick to good old fashion NGK's and Bosch's.