Reducing MA's and Other Crapola

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 19, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Started a repair Friday at one of our high schools. Area was a swamp and discovered that three of four valves were leaking at their 2" x 1-1/2" reducing MA's. Good thing it wasn't leaking at the main line near or under the sidewalk as there are four pipes tightly buried in one trench.

Also discovered that the QCV had been installed using Marlex 90s and was leaking through the threads. We had to pull off the repair for something else and will finish the job tomorrow.

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-02.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-03.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-04.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-05.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-06.jpg

2. So mad you tossed your hat off?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Nay, it popped off his head, as steam blew from his ears.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

But Marlex '90s hold constant pressure :D

Remember Critical Care going back and forth about that a year ago? :)

5. PurpHaze

Just an unseasonably warm day (low 70s) and I started to fog up my sunglasses and sweat a little too much for a February day. Sat my hat down there to cool down a little. :)

Weather has cooled off quite considerable with some showers since Friday.

Actually I've been keeping cooler in that department lately knowing that in a few months I'll be turning this "let's follow behind LameScape and re-do all their screwups" over to someone else. :laugh:

6. PurpHaze

SURE... just like Slip Fixes. :laugh:

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa, my ears are burning. Did I hear Marlex? No, I wouldn't use them in a situation as Hayes has shown... complete with the teflon tape as shown. That quick connect is probably under about 70 psi. My Marlex is only rated at 65 psi constant.

8. PurpHaze

Actually CC... the Marlex is under greater pressure at times. There's a booster pump on a relay that activates when the three field controllers are on. Although this point is in the front of the school it's also under boosted pressure because it's controller is also on when the field is watering. :)

9. PurpHaze

Repairs were made today. I decided to realign the valves a little and put two each in jumbo boxes since they're only 1-1/2" valves.

The QCV in the last pic is the same one but you'll note the Marlex 90s are gone. The swing joint is a combination of SCH 40 els and SCH 80 street els. Leo wanted to do a little experimentation on our QCV swing joints so I let him. Eventually the SCH 40 els will be replaced with SCH 80 on future QCV swing joints but our supplier was out of them at the moment.

I had to leave for a dentist appointment before everything was backfilled and boxes set so Leo finished up. We'll turn the isolation valve back on tomorrow and check the repair work.

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-07.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-08.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-09.jpg

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-10.jpg

10. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

looks alot better very good repair......