Redwing Work Boots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blink74, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

Every year I buy a pair of work boots. I try to buy the lightest, waterproof, noninsulated boots I can find. I've bought Wolverines and last year spent $115 on a pair of Lacrosse's best boots. None of them have lasted longer than 1 season. This year I'm considering getting a pair of Redwings. My partner says they are the most comfortable, will last much longer and are well worth the money. However, they are $150. I don't have a problem spending that as long as they out last cheaper boots. Has anyone had any experience with Redwings? How did they hold up?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

All I wear is Red Wings. they are the best and most comfortable boots made. The pair that i'm wearing now is 2 years old and they are good as new. They are only about $110 around here but they are definately worth $150.

3. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I bought a pair of Red Wing steel toes last August for $160.00. Great boots but It took awhile to break them in. These are made in the USA. I looked at a pair of Hi Test boots. They were about $40.00 cheaper but made in China. The workmanship wasn't nearly as good. You get what you pay for.

4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I used to wear wolverine until I just recently tried a new brand. They are Magnums, I bought them as work boots and have been wearing them as shoes because they are almost as comfortable as my nikes and they are the best looking work boots I have ever seen. I get lots of compliments from friends on the style. They make 2 verions steel toe and non. I bought the non and they were $99. Bought them from Harrys

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I may end up trying a pair of RedWings this year, as Wolverines are getting a little tougher to find around here. I have a question for those that have had both...Are the RedWings every bit as soft in the sole as the Wolverines are? - Because, as far as I know, the Wolverines are BY FAR the softest most cushiony boots to walk in. It's just like walking on pillows. I've came across some boots that were close, but still not as soft....especially compared to weight ratio.

6. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I wear Redwings. This is another thing that goes back to the dealer support you read about here. The store I bought them from will shine/clean them whenever I want for free,restitch the seams for free, replace the inserts, new laces, and if the sole wears out that is replaced for free also. I have two pairs, one winter and one summer by far the best boots i have owned. I have tried Cats, Wolverine, and some generic brand. My dad wears the Worx boots by Redwings, and also likes those.

7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Many Red Wings can have the soles replaced after they wear out (maybe $40-60? not sure), so figure that into the replacement cost too. A guy I work with told me he has a pair that's 16 years old that's on its 5th set of soles. Also, insulation works both ways, so just because they're insulated doesn't mean your feet are going to be hot. I mean, people don't take the insulation out of their houses in the summer, right? I went to the local Red Wing store last Monday and looked at the 1206 model. Gore-Tex, Thinsulate, and the soles can be replaced. I didn't buy them b/c I want to look around a little more yet, but they look like the best ones for me from what I've seen so far. I think they were $145-50.

http://www.redwingshoe.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=1206

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I've personally never had any issue with Wolverines and love them, but you might want to look at Georgia Boots also as they make a really good boot.

9. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Eshreve, they replace the soles for FREE where you bought yours? I've never heard that before. I'll e-mail you to find out where your dealer is, you're not too far from me I'll gladly buy from him if that's the case.

10. wannabee

wannabee LawnSite Member

I wear a pair of the similar to the style 1906, i've had them for about 10 years , but have only worn them full time for 3 years now . they are the best boots i have ever owned, as for the cushion, there's not much . my opinion , well worth the $