1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redwood Photo Contest Finalist

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mdvaden, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This year, Save the Redwoods League selected my redwood photo below from over 500 as one of 10 finalists. Once voting began, they sent a note to get the word out.

If you would like to lend some support to a fellow Lawnsite Arborist / Landscaper, here's the link. Voting open until August 12th, 2011.

2011 Redwood Photo Contest Voting

So far, I'm holding 3rd place by a thin margin.

This image is titled Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

2. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

Great Pic.

You got my vote.
  3. mdvaden

Forgot to mention in the OP, that the photo is memorable to me too, because it was taken about 1 hour before finding the world's tallest Hemlock tree in the same park - 272 feet. Named "Tsunami" after the wave that reached the redwood coast last March.

Below is that tall tree found the same day - sleek looking base.

4. ochosdaddy

ochosdaddy LawnSite Member

I voted for yours. Looks like you're up against tough competition. Good luck!
  5. mdvaden

If I were not committed to supporting my photo, there's a chance I'd pick the salamander one.

The slug was okay, but there's another camera lens stuck in the shot.

For a "redwoods" type photo contest, it seems like big redwood trees should rule.

6. ochosdaddy

ochosdaddy LawnSite Member

I know redwoods are tough to photograph mainy because of their massive size. You did it well. Two years ago my wife and I drove through (and hiked) in Jedediah Smith Redwoods park in CA. I understand those redwoods aren't really that big compared to some. I wish we could have spent more time there.
  7. mdvaden

It just depends on where you hike in each of the north redwood parks. Jedediah Smith redwoods where you hiked, has the 1st, 4rd, 5th and 6th largest known coast redwoods. And many other giants.

The redwood below is in that park too, and has a 30 foot wide trunk 4.5 feet above grade. That's 5 feet wider at dbh than the largest tree in the world (General Sherman Giant Sequoia) even though its wood volume is less. There are massive redwoods in Jedediah Smith.

8. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I've got to make it over in that area before I die (hopefully got MANY more years until that happens). Excellent photograph. As of my vote, looks like you are only about 16 out of first. I can only imagine your fellow lawnsite guys will help you out.
  9. yamahatim

yamahatim LawnSite Member

Voted! Great photo, good luck!
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

You got my vote! great pic