Reel mower for Centipede

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PHS, Sep 21, 2007.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Hi All,

Will a reel mower do a good job on Centipede?

I ask because I have a Bermuda lawn in my back yard and Centipede in the front and am thinking about getting a reel mower for the better cut on the Bermuda. If a reel mower will also work well on the Centipede I may spend more for a better mower if I can do the whole property with it.

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

YES, Reels cut all warm season grasses better, go with a LOCKE. www.locketurf.com
    Dave

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you do not scalp the centipede like the bermuda.

Centipede likes to be around 2.75-3 inches. Too short will kill it.

4. PHS

KTO,

Good point. I cut the Centipede at 2.5 and the Bermuda at 1.5.

Dave,

I assumed they would cut all of them better but you usually only hear about them in regard to Bermuda, Bent, Zoysia, etc. I have seen those Lockes before but forgot all about them. Looks like they a wide range of height adjustment. I briefly looked at a used greens mower a while back but I would have had to buy some extra parts to get it to cut above .75" or something like that.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would like to see a picture of the centipede cut w/ a reel mower. I would cut it as low as possible w/o scalping it.

6. KTO Enterprises

Technically centipede is scapled at 2.5 inches. It would burn up here shorter than 2.75..

On centipede the blades of grass represent the depth of the roots. The roots grow as deep as the blades of the grass are maintained long.

7. PHS

Geez, some literature I have from LSU recommends Centipede to be cut at 1"-2" :) .

8. KTO Enterprises

i have read the same thing and I am not sure where they come up with that. If you cut that low you will be down into the crown and the stolons. Taller cut heights do promote fungus growth, but the good lcos catch that before it becomes a problem. But taller cut heights also help keep the stolons cooler and keep the grass healthy in the summertime. I do cut it shorter in the winter, around 2.25 to help the sun get to the roots and thwart off the fungus growth.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

10. KTO Enterprises

No, this is what the local sod grower told me. Its the best way to make a good drought resistance lawn.

They tell homeowners to mow around 2 inches due to bug and fungus growth that most homeowners will never realize is there until the lawn is gone. It also has to do with thatch buildup. If a homeowner waits until the grass is 6 inches tall and cuts it at 3 inches the are able to hide the clippings but they dont biodegrade.