1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reel Mower Issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soonernation, Jul 2, 2004.

1. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

This is my first year dealing with a reel mower. It started out OK but for the past few weeks the mower has been leaving uneven marks and burning the yard every time it hits a bump. 3 of the yards I do have somewhat "bumby" terain and the grass looks more like a large green dalmation. The blade does need to be sharpened, but it did the same thing right after I had it sharpened. Am I mowing on too high of a level? Most of the spots that I am having a problem with look like the grass was grey underneath the top layer of green. I am really at a loss and no one seems to have an answer. I would appreciate any words of wisdom.
  2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Try starting out as low as you can get it in the spring and slowly move up if you get brown spots. If the lawn is to uneven, you may just have to mow it tall with a rotary, are leval the lawn out with top soil.
  3. Lawncrafter

Lawncrafter LawnSite Member

Sounds like the yard needs to be top dressed.....I wouldn't use a reel mower on anything that isn't perfectly even....Also when using a reel mower you almost need to do it weekly if you dont then you are going to scalp it .
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got 5 locke reel mowers. If a reel mower gets out of its specs. The cut starts to suck. See if its adjusted right. Or you might be cutting to low. What mower do you have and what height is it set at?
  5. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

You can reduce your sharpening intervals by backlapping. If it is a walkbehind unit, you need the motor(electric) set-up to spin the reel backwards and backlapping compound. Normally you can backlap 3 or 4 times between actual sharpenings. This will improve you cut if it is equipment related.
    Most shops that sharpen reel mowers can also backlap too.