reel mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A Simple Cut, May 27, 2005.

1. A Simple Cut

A Simple Cut LawnSite Member

Are the blades supposed to make a clicking noise. I guy at my other job wants to know. :blob3:

2. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but I would say it should be more like a ticking noise than a clicking noise. Properly adjusted reels should have light contact to the bedknife. This contact will creat a noise every time a blade contacts the knife. Too heavy of contact will cause the blades to dull too quickly and should be avoided. Too heavy of contact would make the contact noise louder. Easiest way to check is to back off the contact then retighten until the blade can cut paper.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If it clicking the damage has been done. He will have to backlap the blades, maybe even have them reground. The like mowtech said. Adjust them until they will cut a piece of paper.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

if the clicking is not even, you have to get it backlapped or sharpened. by even I mean at the frequency that the reel blades are spinning. not like once a second.

make sure you take care of this quickly, because running it with a bent or nicked reel can destroy it if it's a McLane. a tru cut you will be able to bend the blades back but you still should not run it like that.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I use a piece of newspaper on my Locke to set the blade. When it shears the

paper thats right. It does not touch.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Do you want 5 more lockes, mowers. I am selling all of mine. Got to many hobbies.