Reel Mower Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hughes Landscaping, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Hughes Landscaping

Hughes Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have never operated a reel mower and do not know much about them, buy I just signed a contract with a customer that has over 1/2 acre of zoysia grass that he prefers to be cut with a reel mower.

What type do you guys use or prefer? Are there any special skills needed to operate? I am looking on Craigslist, but I am not sure what is an acceptable brand or price...

Thanks in Advance!

2. Go with a C27 Tru-cut. Brand new they run around $2200 but you can find used ones for a lot less. IF you want help, PM me the links on craigslist. Basically, look for one that is around $700-$1000. IF it needs a sharpening your looking at $85 minimum. If it needs new reel/bedknife your looking at $400 plus. Not hard to operate, but you have to cut slower so everything is even.

This is the important part, CHARGE AT LEAST DOUBLE WHAT YOU WOULD IF YOU WERE CUTTING WITH A ROTARY MOWER. On a half acre, I would go at 2.5-3 times. Before you buy the mower, let your customer know this. These are expensive to maintain and service.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you want the best get a Locke...but a TruCut 27" will be fine. I have a 30" Legacy which is basically a Cali Trimmer that's 30" wide...although it cuts nice, it lacks the clutches that a TC or Locke have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

Make sure that whatever you get has a roller on the front.

And I hope this lawn you are picking up has been topdressed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You signed a contract to mow 22K Sf of Grass with a reel mower and you do not have one or know your cost? I hope it was a good contract.

Lucky for you Zoysia grows slower than Bermuda. Most of these reel mowers are greens mowers and likely will not go over 1.5 inches high if over 1 inch.

Are you treating it too? Good Luck

6. cgaengineer

And zoysia can be cut at 1". A truCut is NOT a greens mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

What type of zoysia is it anyway?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yes
    but can it be cut at 1" once per week without removing more than 1/3 of the blade?

I know Zoysia is slower growing than Bermuda but you could not cut Bermuda once per week at 1"

In fact you would need to mow Bermuda every other day to maintain 1" during the spring

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. cgaengineer

Nope, it will require 2-3 cuts per week...ypu want reel mowing ypu gonna pay...the customer probably knows this...I'm sure this is not a rotary mowed dump if customer prefers a reel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cgaengineer

I reel my lawn 3 times per week in June, usually 2 times per week before and after June.
    Posted via Mobile Device