Reel Mower Suggestion for Zeon Zoysia

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by delshouse, Apr 6, 2014.

1. delshouse

delshouse LawnSite Member

Fellas, sorry if this may be a repeated thread but i'm new to the site.

Last year I had Zeon Zoysia Sod put down on my front and sides (approx 7k square feet). In addition I had several trees taken out to maximize the heat. Living in HUntersville, North Carolina on a golf course I felt like that was my best option to maximize my outdoor beauty.

Despite the areas of it being not as thick as i'd like it, I'm hoping this year we will have better weather and it will look like that carpet i've been promised.

Long story short, i'm in the hunt for a new lawn mower and based on research i've been told reel mowers are my best option. I've been researching tru cut but have found them very expensive. Are they my best option or are there other options out there??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Cal Trimmer, Peachtree mowers, Toro Greensmaster(retired from golf course use or else $$$$$$$$). McLane if you are truly on a budget. I do not like Tru-Cut mowers with their mismatch of reel speed and drive speed, as well as their power transmission through a narrow side wheel. Tru-Cut mowers are also back heavy, so if the grass is a little dense, the front lifts up and allows the grass to get thicker. The mowers I mentioned with the exception of the Toro will need to be fitted with a front roller.

3. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I agree with green doctor...matter of fact I spoke with him for a while before I purchased my john deere greens mower. Now the toro and john deere are very expensive, but you get what you pay for. They are made for cutting 18 holes every day, year after year. It would be the last mower you ever bought. Figured I would post pictures of what a reel can do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

Holy $t! That is what grass is supposed to look like. If someone hates how bermuda or zoysia looks, it is probably because they have only seen it butchered with a rotary mower.

5. greendoctor

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=413753

That is what a 20 something year old Toro does to zoysia.

6. exmarkking

Thanks, that was at my town home and the area of grass was so small I could water it by hand and cut everyday. I just moved into a new home with tiff419 Bermuda. I can't wait for it to green up so I can sand it and start cutting with the reel. It is just now starting to green up here in ga. It is a 1/4 acre lot so I can't wait to get it looking good since it actually big enough to admire it. I said the mower at .750 which I believe is 3/4". I really want it at 1/2 inch but until it's more level I don't think I can go any lower
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greendoctor

3/4" is a good height of cut for bermuda not being used as a golf green. In the old days, I remember a lot of people had bermuda lawns at green height. Take All patch in the late 80s and early 90s killed most of those lawns.

8. exmarkking

Think it will look pretty good if I can get it sanded and keep it at that height? I think fairways are cut at .650 around here which is a little over 1/2". I just don't have the time or money to keep it like that on this bigger property I just moved to. I recently switched the bed knife out on my mower. It had a tournament knife which cuts down to 1/16" and I didn't need it so I put a standard knife on it because it's a little more beefy. That other knife was paper thin.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. greendoctor

It should be fine at that height. I do one 1/2 acre bermuda lawn at 5/8" in the summer months. Rest of the year it is at 1". There is no true dormant season here, but there are times of the year when the grasses are at the edge of checking out due to lack of sun and cool temperatures. A thicker bedknife is a good idea for lawn height grasses.

10. delshouse

delshouse LawnSite Member

Thanks fellas. so a Toro and a Tru cut are like the top of the line reel cutters and a Mclean is for the budget consious?? Are they bad mowers or could they handle a smaller job like 7K square foot area?

On a side note, I saw in the side posts that people are sanding some areas, are they talking about the areas where need a little added help? I remember reading that one should take some sand box sand and spread it out with a broom on areas of need. Is that correct? I've got several spots that have just not taken.