reel mower vs 2nd push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zito, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

I am thinking about picking up a back up push mower, but would a self-propelled reel mower be a better purchase? If a reel mower is as wide as and travels at the same speed as a regular mower, and a reel has the ability to cut prettier, then isn't a reel mower more valuable than another push?
    Also, marketability should be better with a reel. People who currently cut their own yards would be more likely to pay me to do it if I had a reel mower and could make it look better than they could with thier push mower. Plus, I already have customers who would like their lawns cut shorter than I can cut with a standard mower. A reel mower would make them happier with their lawn service.
    The cost of a reel is more, but shouldn't it make up for itself with new business and happier customers?
    Also, can one of these do a good enough job?

2. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

:hammerhead: bump

3. KingLawn

KingLawn LawnSite Member

From what I understand reel mowers don't have the ability to cut at typical lawn heights. They are more for golf greens and short turfgrass like creeping bentgrass and hybrid bermuda, and a good locke goes for the same as a new hydro walkbehind! That is just what I have read...I would contact some reel manufacturers and see what they recommend. I hope this helps...-Nick

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am a big fan of reel mowers, its almost all we use, but you have to have a smooth surface to cut. They don't treat bumps and humps very well. Also sharpening is an ordeal, no quick switch of the blade and off you go like a rotary. The other thing is they don't pick up debris, we rake and blow off the lawn before we mow. You can figure at least 30% longer to cut with a reel mower. If you sell a reel cut you should have a back up for when yours is getting sharpened or back-lapped. I can't see adding on this type of service without two of these mowers.

5. KingLawn

KingLawn LawnSite Member

What kind of grasses are you cutting over there predominantly? Can you really see the diff. between a reel and a rotary? The only reel stuff I see around here is on golf courses, I think the grasses grow too fast.?..

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Here its all hybrid Bermuda and in the winter its perennial rye. The Bermuda we cut at 3/8 to 3/4 depending on how smooth the yard is. In the winter with the rye we cut most yards with a rotary but a few clients still want that reel cut and those are at about 1" or so. As high as the mower will go without pulling the machine apart and changing wheel bolt on positions. We cut some lawns twice a week.