reel mower / walking boom

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by fl-landscapes, Jan 22, 2014.

1. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Wanted to post a couple pics of a zoysia lawn I take care of and THE HOMEOWNERS new reel mower. Yup, this guy likes a nice lawn and I was able to talk him into buying the mower. Of course after greendoctor talked me into it......thanks Rey. The mower has not been used yet and the empire zoysia in the photo has been maintained with a 21" push and a sharp blade cut at 1 1/2" as well as monthly spoon feeding of nutrients. Also is a photo of the walking boom I made with the help of greendoctor. Ive heard it before and I agree mostly equipment is personal preference and not always right or wrong. With that said I find this areas cookie cutter 5k lawns are a perfect candidate for the walking boom. I can cover the lawn in 5 minutes flat and apply a perfectly calibrated app. especially useful and great results for herbicides. Spray higher volume out of skid for insecticides, fungicides, fertilizers then follow up with lower volume boom for weeds. Again, just my opinion. Anyway, Ive always been a toy collector.

p.s. the grass looks slightly different in the photos, its the same lawn same day (today) just different angles and a camera phone.

reel2.jpg

boom1.jpg

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I think you and him will be very pleased with the results of that reel. It will create what looks like a dense lawn into that much more of a dense lawn

3. fl-landscapes

I think your right. Looking forward to seeing it evolve.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

What brand of mower is that and what did he pay? How do you like the Maruyama BP?

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Toro Greensmaster Flex 21. Those can be had well used from golf courses for around $1000. New, they are about $9000.

6. fl-landscapes

Only has 750 hrs. He paid $1200. The maruyama is so useful I can't praise it enough. Agitation in the tank is amazing.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

$1200 is less than what a Tru Cut P20 goes for and the Flex 21 is a superior machine.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Can you get a close up of the trigger handle?

9. fl-landscapes

The trigger valve on the BP? It's a tee jet AA31 trigger valve 1/4" mnpt

10. fl-landscapes

if thats what your looking for I have a different angle that might help. otherwise I can post a pic tomorrow or greendoc may get one sooner. He is the zen master of these back pack booms.

boom3.jpg