Reel Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2006Silverado, Aug 10, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Have this lady that wants a quote to have her lawn done. It's at least a million dollar home, is one of the most prestigous gated communities in Atlanta.

The yard is barely 1/4 acre. But it's broken up into about 4 areas. They have Bermuda grass. Customer wants mow, blow, edge, trim and a few small pine straw beds weeded for $45. She wants it mowed with a Reel Mower.

I don't have a Reel Mower, nor the money to buy one unless it will really pay off. My question, I'm just trying to grasp this...Is she correct in assuming she needs to have it mowed with a Reel? Is the benefit of the Reel mainly because you can cut it so much shorter than with a push or WB? If you're using a Reel should you be charging more? Is this typical of neighborhoods like these...am I wasting my time even trying to advertise in an area like this if I'm only using a push or 36" WB?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It shouldn't be that hard to do!:weightlifter:

Mike with reel mower.jpg

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

pass! reel mowers are $ to buy and maintain. need sharpning and frequent blade adjustments that must be just right. also if you have to catch the clippings -its takes a lot more time and there are lots of clippings to dispose of. where else could you use this mower? how easy would it be (in this part of the country) to sell if you loose the account?

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Just say, "Yes Ma'am, I have a REAL mower," and mow it with your walk-behind. :)

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you should charge more, the only problem with reeling is Bermuda grows like mad in summer as you well know, I wouldn't cut it less than $60.00
    You will most likely have to blow the clippings around, wouldn't waste time bagging it to much hassle, I have a C27 Tru Cut for sale, if the person I wanted to sell it to doesn't buy it, it is 750.00 used as my back up reel, I use a Locke C125 mainly. If youre interetsed PM me, it has a 5.5 Honda and striping roller, plus the bag for clippings. Would you be cutting in the CCof the south?
    Dave

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always been told reel mowers cut from 3/8" to 1 1/2". Why would you cut bermuda that low? I have several yards that are bermuda and I always use the Z. Yes you would charge more because of time, not what your using.

8. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

I'll keep it in mind. I wouldn't mind having one anyway, but right now is just not a good time to spend money unless I absolutely need to, or am pretty sure I will get a ROI immediately.

St. Marlowe

9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

St. Marlowe, nice SD there, good luck to you.

10. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

45? no way. you'll spend more then that to get the the blades sharpened and set, unless you know how to back-lap and set. but then your using time you could be cutting with, and eventually you'll still need to get new blades, which aren't cheap.