reel mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontstreetlawns, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

does anyone know if there is a company that makes a riding reel mower that bags also?

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I know John Deere does - on their website its under Golf & Turf products. I think you're looking at some serious cash, though.

3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty sure Toro does too. . . but yeah $$$

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct on both, why would you want to bag it? Let the clippings fly!

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Most manufacturers of golf course and athletic field reel mowers offers some sort of basket arrangement. Without more info from you and the conditions you will be operating in I cannot be more specific.

6. Frontstreetlawns

my conditions are usually wet in spring. i have about 18 reel account rangeing from small lawns to 3/4 acre just seeing what my possibilities are, and no i cant let it fly untill summer, it doesnt compost fast enough here and the big accounts can be picky

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Egads, 18 reel customers? nobody uses reel mowers here except on courses. I think that the only way to bag with a reel is the basket that follows it. They do make a beautiful cut, but maintenance and anything ( sticks, rocks, trash, stumps,roots) that is in the lawn can break them quickly. good luck.

8. Frontstreetlawns

around here its slowly dieing, probably 10 yrs ago 2/3 of the lawns were reel lawns, now no one wants to pay the extra money. tells you what kind of town i live in

9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want a riding reel like you said, you will need a tri plex, I just bought a Toro Sidewinder that needed work, but I don't and won't bag, you may check with National Mowers they have small reels but I don't think they bag, only way to bag is with walk behinds, I also have a Locke C125, you can add a basket to that. Also Trimmer brand if they are still in business and Tru Cut has a bag on their walk behinds.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

If I were you, I would mow with a utility tri-plex like a Toro 216-G.
    Seven feet wide, each reel is on it's own yoke, the unit is a sit down, three wheel, highly maneuverable mower. Pull a piece of carpet or light chain link fence behind the mower to disperse the clippings. I have done this for years on athletic grounds and have had no undecomposed matter build up as I aerified twice per year.
    If you are interested, pm me for photos of a nice 216-G I have for sale - all set up and ready to go.
    One thing to remember about the commercial reel mowers verse residential units - the bed knives and reels are meant to cut all year long with minimal maintenance and will take the insult of minor debris with out harming the cutting units.