1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reel Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skyway9517, Mar 25, 2004.

1. skyway9517

skyway9517 LawnSite Member

Anyone got any good information regarding "Roseman gang reel mowers." I bought a five gang set from Air Force surplus only paid $200 for the five (no manuals of course). The mowers are about 36" wide and each unit weighs about 200lbs. BIG, HEAVY, and OLD... I'm guessing 1960's vintage. I used them last summer on my three acre out-lot and they seem to mow pretty well except the tall (I call it "buckhorn") weeds that we seem to get in Michigan in the late summer. I know that I need to backlap the blades this year, but I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything (specific) about Roseman reels.:mad:
    On the cast iron frames of the mowers, I got this information:
    "Roseman Mower Corp. Glenview, IL"
    Ser #'s "43839 thru 43843"
    "12096" and "R42"

I'm not using them for business, just around the house... They're fun to mow with :blob3: .

2. Golf Guru

Golf Guru LawnSite Member

I have worked with reel mower for twenty years never use a roseman though, but I have used all the others, they are all about the same. What do you need to know about them?

3. skyway9517

The frame that was on them last year was galvanized pipe and all cobbled together... I'm thinking about chaining the front 3 side by each, the back two the same way. Making a rigid mount from the front 3 to the tractor. But I haven't figured out how to effectively tie the rear two to the front gang. Should I chain them, or make a rigid mount???
  4. Golf Guru

Golf Guru LawnSite Member

It should be a rigid frame. You could make it out of 4"chanel iron, going over the top. Main beam down the center with cross members for the front three and a cross member for the back 2 reels. The reels should be mounted rigid but with pivits for up and down and a pivit for the left and right. A pair of chains could work but the reels might wiggle-waggle when pulled. The cross menbers could be welded or bolted and have another drop down arm for the reel hook up. It could be a solid round shaft through the channel (this would be your left and right piviot ) then go with a y figuration ( up and down piviot ) to mount to the reel.
    I hope I didn't confuse you more. If you like I could send you a picture of a toro unit tommorow.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've rebuilt Rosemans so many times it makes my head spin. I hope those weren't my leftovers from when I worked at the Air Force golf course years back. We had 3 -5 gang sets. The front 3 reels are rigid mounted, they do not move side to side. The rear 2 reels are on a swivel, which allows them to turn side to side without tearing the grass. I don't have any manuals, but I could draw you a picture, if that would help.
  6. skyway9517

I'll try to post some photos of them in the next couple of days. If not on the 28th hopefully before the 31st.

7. skyway9517

Well, I've got the photos... evidently I'm not smart enough to figure how to attach them to the thread. Hummmmmmmmm. Mike and Keith, do you want me to send any of them to you guys??? They're about 333k each and I've got seven photos, Front, rear, and front closeups. Let me know.

Mike, yeah, I know where Marine City is... You can't get there from here (Eaton Rapids), well, at least not to easily.