Reel mowers for Bahia or/and St. Augustine grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hermanator, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

I am wondering how good a reel mower works for very south grasses like Bahai and St. Augastine and any other southern grasses?

thanx

2. Hermanator

nothing, no one?

3. horticulturedawg

horticulturedawg LawnSite Member

Outstanding results on bermuda and zoysia....don't know about others.. I think a reel mower will mow St Augustine too short. Our reel mowed properties' turf is awful short. Bermuda and Zoysia can take it, don't know about the others.

4. Hermanator

but do you have to cut it that short? I know they cut the bermuda and zoysia really short as we do here also, but am wondering if it will make a nicer cut on the bahia and augustine type grasses. i hear some guys say it is really hard to cut, so was wondering if reeling it would cut better and look betetr even if you didn't cut it really short?

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be done, but WHY? I lived in Fl. a long time and always cut at 4" to shade the roots of the Flortam, Bahia FORGETABOUTIT! Trash grass, needs to stay in the pastures, I use a Locke C125 on my Emerald Zoysia in Atl. and cut at 1", cut the Bermuda down to 1/4" looks real good, but I would stick with a Z, plus the rapid growth would be way to much for a decent cut, I have a Tru Cut 27" for sale if your interested...
    Dave

6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

St. Augustine will be seriously damaged if you cut at the low heights reel mowers excel at.

Can't see any advantage a reel mower would offer on St. Augustine. Cutting St. Aug at 2" is really short.

7. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Reel mowers typically cut no higher than 1" and like Quiet said, not!!! good for St augustine. Sharp Blades and a level deck will do wonders in St Augustine

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

WHy on earth would anyone want to cut st augustine with a reel mower?

Sounds like a b.s. question to me. It wouldnt even be worth the effort, and nobody would be stupid enough to do it.

Save the reel mowers for bermuda, thats about all they are good for down here.