Reel mowers S u c k!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Hey next time I say I am going to bid a job where I need to use this damn thing, remind me to
    BID HIGHER$$$$$$$

I'm still doing well on time here but there sooooooooo slow....and made for midgets! I have to wrestle with that little beast again on Friday and not looking forward to it.

:gunsfirin me

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Tbar- We used to have a couple who wanted no power equipment used on their lawn.We reel cut the lawn and broom swept the walk!I charged double what I would charge to use the WB or Z, and she was more than happy to pay.I later dropped them for fear of losing my sanity, using 18th century lawn equipment, and listening to them talk constantly about the environment.I so wanted to do donuts in their yard on the Z!!!:D

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

:rolleyes: Well Tbar, I don't think it would do any good, seems like I remember several tried to advise you to come up with some other plan than a $700 mower just to appease the client on his own precious little yard.
    Ah well, experience is still the best teacher isn't it.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that if someone offered to pay me a lot of money to reel mow their yard I still wouldn't accept it.

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Tbar,
    Is the reel for that nice Zoysia acount ?

Reel mowers are for a different job, turf grade, finish look etc.....................Remeber this guys........They aint no WB!

Oh and ............Nah Tbar..........If ya getting alot of props of the guy with the Zoysia account (think I heard you mention that he was giving you alot?) it's well worth it and a good asset to your inventry! JMO.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mower did you end up purchasing?
    You shouldn't have problems with running/handling.
    Try throttling down to reduce your ground speed. A common mistake new operators make is having the machine move too fast so you are always playing catch-up.
    If you do throttle down, the machine will still cut and the quality of the cut has no bearing on engine rpm - unlike that of a rotary mower.

7. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Dont get me wrong I am doing ok on that job, and the zoysia looks great. its just bending down so far and takes longer than I planned...
    Live and learn!

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Wanna play the price is right:D 1k or 10k per mow:laugh:

9. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

If you puchase a nicer unit it will make all the difference. Reel mowers are great to have. I worked for a lco before we had two HOAs where we had to use these on all the front lawns. One was 52 homes the other 75. We were able to run two trucut reelmowers and we finished the 52 home place in four hours. THey were noy very big lawns 1k. Our guys got alot better with them after a few weeeks you have to learn to run it instead of running after it. Have fun.

10. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

I was talking with a local town. They have some ball diamonds they want prices for next season. But they want it cut with real mowers.... How much do they cost, and what do I need to know about them. Are they slow, hard too maintain.
    thanks
    you seemed like you knew about them:cool2: