Reel mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdlwn1, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

National used to make a walkbehind 30" or so with 2 air tires instead of a roller in the back....4-5 horse motor. They used to cut yankee stadium with it...late 70's early 80's. Has anyone ever seen this mower or could identify the model? My former employer had 3. I would give a testicle to find and aquire another one.

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a Locke, I own a 25 " Locke w a 6 hp castiron Briggs. It has a roller. Also 30" and 70 and 75" triplex.Ed

3. mdlwn1

It was a national...had wheels in the back....not a roller

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I remember seeing the National in the area. Also Locke had a mower with wheels. They replaced the roller w 2 small tires. Carmine Labriola Landscape

used Nationals at GE Corp. Then changed to Scags. I think Labriola is in

Westchester. Might still have one ?

5. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

I think it was a ransome that National was selling but I'll have to see later. The locke's had rollers until the late seventies. Toro had the same setup but I only knew it as a triplex mower. There was a guy in Wilmington DE who would convert the Locke roller to the Toro wheels but I forget his name but he did that in the fifties, sixties era.

6. mdlwn1

Thanks for all of the responses. The company I originally worked for used to offer a every 5th day (more or less) service. We would completely blow off the lawn area and then cut..sometimes double with these mowers. After much unsuccessfull searching, we actually had a chassy fabricated at a cost of a few thousand. Unfortunately the weight distibution was not perfect and the mower was scrapped. (too heavy in front...doesnt push itself...too heavy in back and the tires rut) The national was lightweight (for a reel) and could be turned around at the end of the swipe without damaging the turf underneath. I now work at a large estate and would love to introduce a reel on 2 of the terraces. I would be wiling to pay for a mower or chassy of similar configuration in ANY condition as the reel, engine, and all moving parts are replaceable. I dream (OK...now I'm getting carried away) that there is one sitting in the back shed somewhere completely rusted over and long forgotten.