1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

reel mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Sep 28, 2001.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i just bought a reel mower 18" for push mowing $65.00
    and its sweet , no gas, no pulling
    and a nice cut at 2.25 inches.
    Any you guys use reel mowers- alot less pollution
    and noise and you can charge top dollar
    cause no one esle uses them
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

yes I used one over 50 years ago when that's all we had. :(

Man, did I hate that thing. :angry:

I'm sure they are much better to push now though. NOT :)
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hustler guy--if I charged $35.00 for a yard that was a total of 10K sq.ft. how much more of a "top dollar" do you think I could ask if I used a reel mower?

also, since I usually "mow -trim -blow and go", to collect the top dollar after pushing the reel mower will I have to use the hand clippers and a push broom? thanks.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

LOL, that was what I was thinking also.

Enviromentally Sound Landscaping at your service.....
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a reel mower that i will use on my yard sometimes if i dont feel like hearing a gas powered mower(that's not very often):)
  6. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

If It dosen't have an engine, I wouldn't even touch it.I got tired thinking about it.:eek:
  7. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple old ones in the loft waiting for restoration. I think they're kinda cool.
  8. Gas vs. push, you loose. How can you even suggest a push mower vs powered?

Sorry I'm in business to do the most with the least amount of effort. My work is already too hard as it is.

Besides, my beer gut might just disappear and the wife wouldn't recognize me.
  9. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Wait til you hit a twig and the handlebars go into your gut/ other area, but as for reel mowers in general I aggree that the quality of cut looks better then a rotary, I am in the process of purchasing a set of 3 21" agri-fab reel mowers set up in a gang format for use at a large field that I mow
  10. I got a 10 blade,5hp B&S I/C, Kato Pro-Master I use exclusively for one account in Lanikai. Small emerald zoy lawn. Last time I checked I was at about 3/4 in. and should be able to get a little lower w some resanding on the low spots. If you got a motor on it then you can do well. Otherwise find the happy medium most LCOs stick with and go with a good sharp rotary and cut frequent.

Make um pay.