1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reel Rollers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by An-A, Jul 24, 2008.

1. An-A

An-A LawnSite Member

Any one used em'? I'm rebuilding my 1956 (yes 56) cal-trimmer and am thinking about adding a reel roller kit. How did they work? :confused:

Heres the link: http://www.reelrollers.com/
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I tried one on my Tru-Cut at the recommendation of my dealer. the guys hated it didn't last a week. My lawns are smooth but not putting green smooth it caused the mower to bounce/jump on every imperfection. it also laid down taller grass and seed heads making for a poor cut. I think a groomer would be a better choice, it is supposed to make the grass stand up for a better cut.

I just bought two of those cal trimmers for 1200 for the pair but the guys hate em. I'm looking to dump them but not too many around here like or use them.

Yea my guys are primadonna's, I know... They do thier job and I do mine.
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In terms of operation, the Cal Trimmer is like an overpriced McLane 7 blade. I say this because there is no variable travel speed. You either have to push it or run behind it. The Tru Cut is controlled by an automotive type clutch that is slipped to vary the travel speed. Most lawns that are not all weeds are mowed with reel mowers. I do not see many mowing LCO's with Cal Trimmers, it is 99% Tru Cut. A front roller is only good for lawns cut at or below 1/2".
  4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Out of curiosity are you guys using reel mowers for normal commercial mowing as in residential and commercial accounts?
  5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Steven Anderson from Reel Works, he works on my reels, I have a C 125 Locke and a JD Tri Plex. It adds weight to the front, stripes the Bermuda and does a nice job, it is mainly used when cutting below 1/2" to keep from scalping, I have a roller in front of my Locke but they come standard with back rollers, you can't beat the Locke, you can walk really slow, I didn't care for the Tru Cut, I was asking Steven if he could hook up a handle on the drive like the Locke instead of always trying to keep the clutch in with your thumb, hurts after a while.
    To each their own on the front roller.
  6. An-A

An-A LawnSite Member

I use my Cal-trimmer for my personal lawn.

I'll probably just stick with the casters.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

An-A check out R&R turf products out of Arizona state.
    I know I bought all of my rollers/parts/bearings from them - they may have an economical roller kit for your mower.
    Remember though the front roller relationship to the bed knife determines bench set height of cut so if you adapt to a front roller you will need a flat plate set up to adjust/true your height of cut.
    R&R has less costly versions of this as well.