Reel Type ....Push/Hand.... Mowers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Pawn, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Friend maintains MILES of walking trails in the woods for recreational use... for the public... all at his own expense!?

He is wondering about a QUIET mower for this purpose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0AqFL2ltjA. He is looking at this, and asked my opinion.

I do not think this would be the ticket as the debris alone on the trails would be it's down fall. Currently he uses old discarded gas push mowers that I keep running for him. Has a couple old riders as well for larger areas, and roughing in new trails.

Any thoughts on ...silent... mowers that might work out? Yes... it would be in a limited capacity these could be used, and he understands that.
    Personally... I do not think they would work well, seeing what he is doing but told him I would post here and ask.

2. shadrach

shadrach LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Debris is a problem. Grass being to tall is a problem. Keeping them sharp is also tricky.

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I don't think you'll find anything that will work better then what he already is using. Reel mowers are a lot of work to keep them cutting good. With saplings and other weeds, tall grass, it's not going to last long at all.