refer or subcontract side jobs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, May 25, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo operator that focuses mostly on mowing maintenance. There is often a need for my clients to find other folks to do minor landscaping, irrigation repair, weed control, etc. that I'm not knowledgeable about or simply don't have time to do now. I have some quality guys that I can refer them too and leave myself totally out of the equation if I want to. I've begun thinking, though, if I should try to line up the work myself and oversee the whole project (whatever it may be) which would increase the price of the job if my client dealt directly with the other contractor. Has anybody else faced this situation and how did you deal with it?

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

depends on the situation for me... any time we sub anything out it is marked up at least 15%...

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

It's a good idea to have the sub-contractors lined up, so that when a client asks' about irrigation, you can say "I can have MY irrigation guy take a look at that for you, if you'll like." I think it comes across that you are a larger and more professional company with more than one facet. AND have it set up that the subs bill you, you then in turn add mark-up and bill the client. Before I got into irrigation a number of years ago this is how I had it set up and it worked great!
    Even now if something comes up and I'm way to busy with a project I still call my sub for things.

4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

How do you work it if the client needs a quote and I'm not able to give one myself? Do you call up your sub, give him instructions to check it out, then get back with you? Or do you meet your sub and the client at the same time? I've wondered if I just send a sub over, the client might simply take care of the dealing himself and leave me out of the equation with no mark up and compensation for my time.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

First, if your sub would do that (by pass you and deal directly with the client)you have the wrong guy, and why would he by-pass you knowing he'll lose all the other business from you? Wouldn't make sense.

Second, if the client needs a quote, no problem, I give my sub the specs and if necessary meet him at the job site and go over it with him.