1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

referal policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 28, 2010.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

If you guys are like me you have picked up more business from word of mouth than any other way. Just curious if you go the percent route or a specific number off? Some of my invoice may be for applications only ($50 or so) while others may be for mowing and apps ($200 or so). So there could be a big difference in 10% off or $25 off. Is this something you offer all year long or really try to push at the start of the season?

2. kgcs

kgcs LawnSite Senior Member

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I offer a $50 discount to the referrer on next year's season package for every referral that signs up and sticks with me.

4. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never given discounts for referals, although I have picked up alot of business through word of mouth. I always figured since I do a good job on their property they would refer me anyway. With that being said I am thinking about doing some sort of discount for this year. I like to cluster my business in specific neighborhoods, so giving a discount on referals may speed up the process of increasing my footprint in targeted areas. I am torn between a small discount or a free mow. I might do a free cut for the existing customer but not for the new account, maybe give them a small discount instead. I never like giving a free service to anyone, but over a course of the season, it may actually be cheaper than a discount.

5. rjh4758

rjh4758 LawnSite Member

I give a free mowing to both the new customer and the referal. Of coarse I am trying to drum up a lot of new business right now but I would atleast reward the referal with free cutting even if I wasn't. It is the best advertising and even if you give away a $40 or $50 cut it is still more cost effective than most types of advertising.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010