1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfguy, Apr 21, 2003.

1. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Am I shooting myself in the foot by offering to cut a cutomers lawn for free once for every referal that they give me on the same street. During plow season one nice woman asked what I could do for her if she gave me 6 other driveways on the same street. Well it worked out great I think I was done with the freebies by january 1st and every seemed happy. Anyone else do any thing like this. Just trying to come up with some new angles. I looks like it is going to be a tough year!!
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I used to offer a discount for any yearly contract signed. We are about at maximum capacity now, so I haved stopped that till we get another truck on the road. :cool:
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My referal bonus is for each referal per month customer gets 25% off that month's mowing bill, and if they get 3 or more they get that month's mowing free. That way I don't go in the hole if they get me 5 jobs and try to get me to pay them 25% of that month's bill LOL that'd be funny.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you shooting yourself in the foot? Absolutely not! As a matter of fact, don't just limit it to their street! Most people don't even KNOW the people who live on their street, but they have friends and relatives who spend money! This is an EXCELLENT marketing incentive for referals!
    As a matter of fact, THIS is one of the things that I was going to mention to aNOTHER guy that posted because he was having trouble getting his biz off the ground. Itworks, and it's proven. If you get a whole season of cutting from someone, what are you getting? And what did that cost you for that 1 cut? In doing the math, this is a simple one.;) Good luck, and have a great season!
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we offer 10% off the months bill for each referral...max limit of 10 per month.
  6. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

i currently give a 15-20 dollar discount to a customer if they were to give me a referral, this way i am fair and even to all customers.

If you had a 1.5 acre lot that you did, for 80, and gave them a 50% discount, then you would be giving away 40 dollars. Where as on a 25 dollar yard, a 50% discount would be only 12.5.

To be fair, give the same "referral (finders) FEE" to all customers.

It would work out better if you ended up with high end clients, the set discount would be the least costly way to go.

Just my two cents.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I give the 5th mow free (one time - not every 5th) for a referral that stays with me for a month of weekly mowing. This is cheap way of picking up customers.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I offer 25% off of one months bill, BUT thats if they sign contract. No contract, no referrel fee (disocunt), because they may use you one month then drop you like a hat. (Dang, I get tired of that ****!)
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Customers that get you clients definitely need to be rewarded. You are not having to spend time or money on advertising and yet you get a new client.