1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reference Letter

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grass King, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

Ok guys I have a change to land a big commercial account. But the company is requesting a reference letter. Can someone share an example. This account will bring in1500.00 a month.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You should be asking your customers for this not us.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I think he's asking what should be included in the letter, what he should ask for.
  4. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

I thought I would write the letter and let the customer sign it if they agree.
  5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Maybe you could compile a short paragraph or two with "testimonials" from 2 or 3 of your best customers with some contact info too. Just an idea...
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

That is an excellant idea.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago I had a prospective customer ask for a referal. I said it will take a few days for me to get. They said just have 2 or 3 of your customers give me a call. I called a few of my long term customers. They were more than willing to give the new customer a call and speak to them in person. I had the job that night. After that I asked a few customers to write me a letter of recommendation so I would have them with me in the future. I gave them a $5 discount on their next cut for their time not the letter. The great thing about them writing the letter is you get a very personal touch to each letter and that looks very good to people wanting a referal. Bad thing is if they date it and you keep it for a few years and the new customer sees a date for 1995 on it.