Reference letters

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mowin4cash, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you guys think about asking customers for reference letters. Do they look at you like you're crazy, or do most do it happily and willingly? What would be a good way to go about asking for a letter of reference? Face to face, on the phone, by letter? Should you offer a "goodie" like a free dinner or % off the next bill? Do you think it portrays that you are "begging?" Thanks in advance for your thoughts and responses.

Mike

2. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

hi Mike,
    first let me say i like the link you provide encouraging folks. saved by His Grace??

bout the referral letters, i never have asked. have had customers volunteer their referral.

typically we will just say (in an advertisment- flyer, newspaper, etc.) that we service properties in the neighborhood. we have been asked by prospective customers to provide referances, then we'll simply provide addresses (all public info) we never provide names or phone #'s.

but, i see nothing wrong with just asking in person while your on a property, or mailing a fill-in-the-blanks type of form should work pretty well to i think

3. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I actually type up the referal letter myself and give it to the client to sign. Never had a crazy look about it, and most are more than willing to help me out.

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

personally i'd do it in a letter so the are not put on the spot. and i wouldn't list addresses. i know it would be nice to have prospective customers stop by to take a look, but i just don't like the idea. people WILL knock and ask questions.

maybe put some pics of the house, with a quote on your website. that way new customers can see the work being referred to without privacy concerns

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

One option is to send a letter to your clients generally asking what they like or would change about your service. Something as simple as that will generate heartfelt response letters from good clients you can use as letters of reference.