references

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aklandscape, Jun 11, 2004.

1. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

How many times has someone asked for a reference before you are hired to do their lawn?? This guy calls up and says my friend needs a price on getting his lawn mowed. I say I'll take a look give me the address. I call him back and his wife says you just missed him(again). I tell her what the price is and she says i'll let him know. Well 7:00 a.m. this morning he calls asking for me and my wife says he's sleeping he just got home from work an hour ago, oh i'll call later. 7:15 a.m. he calls again and says he wants 4 references. What do you guys do for references, give him customers phone numbers for him to call or what???

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I said sure..

I then find like 1 or 2 customers that I service, I tell them can I use them as a reference?

I then give him the # to these customers..

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Id never give my customers phone number out............
    I carry a photo album of jobs iv done and yards i maintain.
    I will give address's tho if they would like to take a drive by and see my work in person.
    What happens when that guy calls your customer at 6:00 in the morning. :angry: :angry:

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What about getting a few of your regulars to write up letters for you???

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

agree never give a cust. # out Show them pics, and if thats not good enough for them then move on

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I get some letters from some of my commercial clients. They are usually glad to do that. I make up a bunch of copies of them, put them in a pocket folder along with pictures of my equipment. THen when someone asks I just whip out the whole folder with the letters.

Mike

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

sounds like he will be a pita in the long run. i wouldnt take him if he asked for 4 refrences.

8. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

That was my concern about references. Plus this guy seems a little weird, the house I'm pricing is for sale and he wants exactly 4 references. Maybe he wants to call them and ask if their happy with their current lco because he has a deal for them if they switch over to him!!!!!