Referral jobs makes up what percent, any given year?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bertram182, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Bertram182

Bertram182 LawnSite Member

Throughout any given lawn season, from start to end, how much referral work did you pick up and what gain do you think was the percentage from already existing jobs? Did you find it hard at times to take on referrals due to an already busy schedule and then pass on the referral?

2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I would say about 70% of my work comes in from referals. It's great because 9 times out of 10 they don't even question the price. They have seen the work you do and that customer is talking you up.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of part-timers on this site can skew your perception of reality if you are working at this business full-time.

Got to watch out for those percentages. A part-timer with 2 yards a year working just to make new truck payments gets 1 referral then that is 50%. :laugh:
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I work full-time, but solo, so I only have a base of 42-45 customers. In 9 seasons, I've advertised one time when I started, $15 for the ad in a local paper. All the rest have come from referrals, or from friends/acquaintenances. A couple have come from my pursuit of the customer -- a residence next to an existing customer ("... I would like to mow your lawn ..."). I agree with cklands, most don't even ask about a price.

Since I am small and have devloped a pretty tight route, I have worked the same neighborhoods for many years. The residents in those neighborhoods know me, even though they are not my customer. So, my situation may not be typical.
  5. Bertram182

Bertram182 LawnSite Member

So you can really build yourself into a housing development and not have much travel, that's got to be the key.
  6. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

The less travel time during the course of the day means a higher profit. payup

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

LOL thats right!
  9. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

Accidental discovery we made with housing developments (actually, Associations); some associations maintain and publish to their members a list of contractors with current insurance certificates on file working in the association. Folks - especially new residents - will use that list as a resource when they need to find a contractor.... We get quite a few calls that way from a retirement community we spend a lot of time in. That would be almost as common as word of mouth, and folks seeing our trucks every week in the neighborhood...We didn't have signs on the trucks, but they'd run down the guy with company t-shirts to ask for a price.
  10. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Thats how I get most of my yards...My crew work within a 3 mile radias, I am the dominate business in the neighborhoods I work, Most streets I will have between 10-15 lawns, I get at least 80% of my business from neighbors seeing me mow. This method has worked very well for me, when someone is even considering signing up for lawnservice, Im the first person they think of. :dancing: