Referrals

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Feb 6, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

what is the best way to get refferals?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

word of mouth, networking with suppliers and customers

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am still trying to figure out this whole referal thing. I do great work and have many repeat customers, i just do not get many referals. Alot of the work i get is from people i have previously know before i was in business. But when i do work for new customers they never seem to refer me to anyone.

Maybe all my customers don't want their friends to have landscaping as nice of them?:laugh: :laugh: I do live in NJ so you never know!

4. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

offer a deal to existing clients for referring new people. I get pretty good results that way. Also, put a couple of cards with your invoices so they can give them to friends. Beat it into their heads so when a friend mentions it, they'll think, "Hey, my guy will give me a free cut..." and they'll refer you. Referrals join almost every time. -Ben

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

thomas and BTLS are right...it's all in networking or spreading the word so to speak. Great work will get you some referrals but also you should actively seek out new work...let your customers know you would appreciate referrals.

It seems to not make sense but more referrals come from brand new clients vs. long-time customers...new clients are on that New Client High and tend to talk about your service more than someone you've been doing work for the last 5 years. So when you sign someone up offer some referral incentive...

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You just have to let it come to you, I get one here, one there...
    But I know what you mean, I feel word of mouth is way over rated.

I thought about this for a long time, it is a world of opposites to be sure.
    While the general public's attitude concerning this matter disturbs the truth, the figures reveal an entirely different truth, a rather harsh reality.

I fully suspect the whole ado concerning word of mouth as being yet another great corporate lie, which would explain why so many folks out there act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I could not survive without paid advertising.
    I tried, once.
    I will never fail to run paid advertising again, and if I had to face paying double what I pay now or go without, I'd raise my prices in response.

Peace

7. MTMoose

MTMoose LawnSite Member

Last year I offered my weekly customers $20 off their bill for referrals that resulted in a weekly account. In the following month I gained 9 weekly customers. It ended up costing me $180.00 in discounts, however I was able to bill out $1080. Not a bad trade off...Just food for thought

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

For maintenance customers we will offer discounts for any referrals that we receive, making it more enticing for them to do it. On Hardscapes, after we finish a job we always mail a packet to the client that pretty much says thanks for your business, we rely on people and their word of mouth to grow our business, tell friends and family yada yada yada. One problem I find, is that alot of guys are almost afraid to outright ask for referrals. I think it's something that should be asked for at least twice a year. :)