1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Referring others for work you don't perform.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikestr, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I received a request to install a sprinkling system. Unfortunately I don't install sprinkling systems. I would like to recommend the work to others I've dealt in the past. Any suggestions on how I can benefit from this "possible" job? Ask for a finders fee? It is quite a ways away from me to attempt to make them a customer of mine. Any warnings?
  2. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I sub it out to a friend of mine. He gives me the price he needs, I price it through my company and add on what I want to make on it. I usuallly add 10 to 15 % over his price. Of coure, he knows the deal and gives me a price that allows me to make my cut.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

subcontract the work out and take a percentage of the bill or a flat finders fee.
  4. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I've NOT been in the business long enough to know someone. I know a guy that did my sprikling system at my old house, I know he does good work for a reasonable price. I don';t mind passing to him, but how would I handle it? Go with him to do the estimate? Make him go and as for a cut? Trust is obviously the issue here. Or should I just let it go and state to this customer that we do not perform the service.
  5. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

Why don't you just call the guy who you know that does sprinkler systems and explain the situation. See what he is willing to do. Don't give him the customer information until you see what he will do. If he doesn't want to play ball go ask another sprinkler system guy and see what he says. It's really not that difficult. You have the power since you have the customer information.
  6. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Point taken, I've contacted him and no response all day. I will contact a reputable company tomorrow.