refilling fluid in a hydro mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 9, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

you guys that have your hydro mowers.......
    when you need to add hydro fluid, is there a resevoir you add to, or a cap you pour into, or a cap/bolt you unscrew? if possible, have a pic of the opening? Just curious about something regarding hydro pumps.

2. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

there should be a resevoir under the seet or near the engine. follow the hydro hoses from the wheel motors to find yours

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

My exmark has a resevoir mounted on the side. How do u know u need to add fluid?

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

on my scag i have a resevoir on the side that you keep 3 to 4 inches from the top. but why would you have to add fluid mine doesnt ever need any just when i change it. are you sure you dont have a leak?

5. fga

not trying to mislead anyone. its not for a mower, its for my little mason dump. TYhe hydro pump has a small leak, and I don't see any type of fill, or way to refill it at all. I know there's more pressure on a system to lift a small truck bed then run the mowers, but it can't be too different.

you guys acually have a small fluid container that you can see the levels? ( i have a belt drive, other wise I wouldn't be asking these "stupid" questions.) is it a twist off cap, like power steering for your car?

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

well on the scag and grasshoppers its kind of like adding steering fluid just remove the cap. i would check on the pump its self on the top maybe of follow the hose out... usually it is off out of the way of danger to getting damaged

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If it is an electric hydraulic pump it should have a little vent cap on top. Remove the cap and add oil there. If you overfill it what ever it doesnt need will just run out so make sure you have a buckett under it when you let the dumpbed down. It is usually better to fill the resevor with the cylinder all the way in, if you fill it with it all the way out you will overfill and oil will gush out whenever you retract the cylinder

8. fga

nah, its a PTO. would it be the same? cuz I've looked and don't see anything. thanks though.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it's on the cylinder. I used to drive a 2.5 ton single axle dump, and the reservoir was the outer portion of lift cylinder. There was a pipe plug that you would remove to add hydraulic fluid.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

One line from the pump will go to the resevor and the other to the control valve. I to have seen cylinders that act as the resevor so you may have to remove the hydraulic line and pour the oil in there. If so be sure the dump bed is all the way down or supported by something to keep it from falling, and it will fall if you remove a line while it is up in the air.