1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reflective Tape

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deere615, Oct 17, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone put reflective tape on their pickup trucks? My friend put some on the back of his cab and on the tailgate. I think it looks pretty cool and will help with saftey especially in the winter.
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

nothing on the trucks, but i decorated the heck out of my trailer with it. makes it really visible when i take it out in the night time.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a couple of boxes of tape a few years ago at an auction sale. Have some on the top post of my hoist on my truck and you can see it for a long ways. Have some on back corners of truck. My Dad has it all over his van.
  4. deere615

Ya I know alot of people use it on their trailers. That would be pretty funny all over a mini van. I will try to get a pic of my friends truck this weekend.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

He put in on the hydro poles and on our mailbox too.
    My wife hid the boxes of tape on him. When we take a picture of hius van it reflects back..
  6. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I got it all over my trailer. My trailer is also decked with lights:)
  7. deere615

Yeah its on my trailer everyone uses it on that but I was going to put it on my truck tailgate

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i put it on the inside of the doors of the truck so when they open bammmmm
    its great to stick it on the kids bikes and such great stuff
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we do mostly highway work so our trucks sometimes sit over night off the roadways, so i go crazy with dot tape, we use the thick 3" stuff its a lot more visible than the 2".. also i think somewhere its in a dot reg that if your towing a trailer over 10k gvw half the side of the vehicle and the whole back must have dot tape on, i read it somehwere so you might want to check...
  10. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember correctly, All registered trailers after July 1, 2008, must be outlined with the consipcuity tape (DOT red and white stuff). I currently have all my trailers outlined with this stuff. Down both sides and across the back. I keep the tape about 24" off the ground so headlights catch it. I also have the top of the rear tailgate outlined in this stuff. I know that the county cops here, have been doing check point traffic stops and giving all trailers a ticket for not having this. Almost $200 for commercial trailer.

I can tell you that this stuff kicks a$$. The tinyest amount of light and the trailer explodes with reflection. I wouldnt travel without whether or not its the law. Northerntools.com sells a 150yd roll for about $150. Almost enough to do 3 of 4 trailers.